Creating a parent dimension within an existing UD Attribute

CrispinC
New Contributor II

Hi 

We have set up a line of business attribute in our UD3 dimension based on cost centres. It has become clear that in several reports we need to aggregate some of these members. I think the easiest way to do this would be if we could introduce a new layer between the current parent and children. My questions are a) is it possible to do this and if so how? and b) how would this impact reports that are already in circulation?

I have tried to illustrate what I'd like to do in the picture below.

CrispinC_0-1649343333213.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

Hello! 

Sure it's possible - you would just insert a new child under Line_of_business then move those three children under the new parent.

Regarding reporting, you'll have to consider how reports are set up around these members. For example, if you have a CV that's pulling Line_of_business.children, it's no longer going to be clean with just the lines of business. It's easy enough to fix that - just some manual cleanup that might need to be done after you make this update. 

The first suggestion is another possibility too, depending on how you do your reporting - an alternate hierarchy so your current structure is untouched but you have another structure with just the new parent and the three lines shared underneath it. 

Hopefully that makes sense but let me know if it doesn't. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NidhiMangtani
Contributor III

You could try having these as shared members under a different parent. Aggregation weight for parent should be 0 so that these three shared members don't double count. 

Thanks,
Nidhi Mangtani

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

Hello! 

Sure it's possible - you would just insert a new child under Line_of_business then move those three children under the new parent.

Regarding reporting, you'll have to consider how reports are set up around these members. For example, if you have a CV that's pulling Line_of_business.children, it's no longer going to be clean with just the lines of business. It's easy enough to fix that - just some manual cleanup that might need to be done after you make this update. 

The first suggestion is another possibility too, depending on how you do your reporting - an alternate hierarchy so your current structure is untouched but you have another structure with just the new parent and the three lines shared underneath it. 

Hopefully that makes sense but let me know if it doesn't. 

CrispinC
New Contributor II

Thanks for this solution. I messed about about trying to move them and probably took the long route by eventually deleting and then setting up the children again ...but it works fine for both my new report and existing reports.

Thanks again for your help