Drill back vs Drill down

allanaklepko
New Contributor III

What is the difference between 'drill down' and 'drill back' functionality?  is it just the matter of different names refering to the same function?  thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

'Drill down' stands for drilling down the dimensional hierarchies.

'Drill back' drills from a data cell (normally in a cube) back to the source data.

View solution in original post

chul
Contributor III

I have a slight correction, Christian.

'Drill down' gets you to the base data that resides in OneStream. This includes not only the dimensional hierarchies, but it also refers to pre-transformed stage data. This is source data from either a direct connection to an external database or a source file.

'Drill back' ONLY exists when OneStream has a direct connection to an external database. It's defined as querying data that does NOT exist (ie. hasn't been loaded) into OneStream. Drill back is NOT possible when loading source files.

cds

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

'Drill down' stands for drilling down the dimensional hierarchies.

'Drill back' drills from a data cell (normally in a cube) back to the source data.

chul
Contributor III

I have a slight correction, Christian.

'Drill down' gets you to the base data that resides in OneStream. This includes not only the dimensional hierarchies, but it also refers to pre-transformed stage data. This is source data from either a direct connection to an external database or a source file.

'Drill back' ONLY exists when OneStream has a direct connection to an external database. It's defined as querying data that does NOT exist (ie. hasn't been loaded) into OneStream. Drill back is NOT possible when loading source files.

cds

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

In an OS environment, Chul's definition is of cause more precise, my answer was more generic.