How to pass standard formatting conditionals to an XFBR rule?

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hello:

Looking for guidance on how to implement an enhanced conditional formatting check.  It's quite simple, apply some formatting based on the account type.

Consider the example of a single row CubeView with one account as the member filter: A#A87999.  Formatting should be applied if the account is a Liability type.

I have a mostly working XFBR helper that can correctly apply formatting but only if I hardcode in the account reference.  Obviously that won't work for all but the simplest CV as reports are often dynamic with Member Expansions.

The mainly working formatting syntax as currently written:

If (XFBR(XFBR_FormattingHelper, AccountTypeIsLiability, Account=[A8799])=True) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

How do I make the parameter dynamic?  I've tried the following:

... Account=RowE1MemberName

... Account=|RowE1MemberName|

... Account=[RowE1MemberName]

... Account=[|RowE1MemberName|]

None seem to work.  Is there a different way to reference the standard available conditionals?

Thanks,
Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Eric, using the In syntax is a working solution, albeit a brute force one.  I would love to understand more how you arrived at the conclusion that |MF| substitutions won't work here.  This is the type of info I am hoping to see in the documentation.  Else we're just throwing ideas against the wall until something sticks.

Final conditional string:

If (RowE1MemberName In XFBR(XFBR_FormattingHelper, InAccountTypeIsLiability, Account=[AccountHierarchy])) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

Final XFBR:

If args.FunctionName.XFEqualsIgnoreCase("InAccountTypeIsLiability") Then
Dim accountName As String = args.NameValuePairs.XFGetValue("Account")
Dim accountId As Integer = BRapi.Finance.Members.GetMemberId(si,DimType.Account.Id,accountName)
Dim accountDescendantsAreLiability As List(Of Member) = BRapi.Finance.Members.GetDescendants(si,BRapi.Finance.Dim.GetDimPk(si,"AllAccounts"),accountId).Where(Function(x) BRApi.Finance.Account.GetAccountType(si, x.MemberId).ToString = "Liability").ToList()
Dim strLiabilityAccounts As String = String.Join(",",accountDescendantsAreLiability.Select(Function(x) x.Name))
Return strLiabilityAccounts
End If

Couple of items if others stumble upon this thread:

The conditional In statements expects a comma separated literal string. Not a List(Of String), and not a string delimited by anything else.

This is still less than ideal as you are returning a large majority of the hierarchy for each and every member this is evaluated against and you must still update the XFBR string if you have multiple hierarchies in play.

I'll file a bug/enhancement request for the issues and inconsistencies noted.

Thanks,

Dave

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

EricOsmanski
Valued Contributor

Account=[|MFAccount|]

You can search for "Member Filter Substitution Variables" in the reference guide for more information.

Hi Eric: thanks for the suggestion, that always doesn't appear to be working either.

Formatting string:

If (XFBR(XFBR_FormattingHelper, AccountTypeIsLiability, Account=[|MFAccount|]) = True) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

XFBR:

If args.FunctionName.XFEqualsIgnoreCase("AccountTypeIsLiability") Then
Dim accountId As Integer = BRapi.Finance.Members.GetMemberId(si,DimType.Account.Id,accountName)
Dim strAccountType As String = BRapi.Finance.Account.GetAccountType(si,accountID).ToString
If strAccountType = "Liability" Then
Return True
End If
End If

In general, it is unclear how the conditional logic is evaluated.  Is there documentation on this?  I'd go as far as to say its a bit buggy.  For example, the following do not work:

If (RowE1MemberName = [|MFAccount|]) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

If ('A87999' = [|MFAccount|]) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

If (RowE1MemberName = RowE1MemberName) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

EricOsmanski
Valued Contributor

Have you tried putting error logs in your BRString formula to see what is being passed in for the Account?

The documentation is under section "Cube View Conditional Formatting" in the reference guide.

Here is the result of my debugging.  Conditional Formula:

If (XFBR(XFBR_FormattingHelper, Debugging, Account=Parameter) = True) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

XFBR:

If args.FunctionName.XFEqualsIgnoreCase("Debugging") Then
BRapi.ErrorLog.LogMessage(si,"I'm logging: " & accountName)
Return True
End If

Result of testing:

ParameterLogged ValueConditional worked (text was red)
A87999A87999Yes
[A87999]A87999Yes
RowE1MemberNameRowE1MemberNameYes
[RowE1MemberName]RowE1MemberNameYes
[|RowE1MemberName|](nothing)No
[|MFAccount|](nothing)No

It looks like the piped parameters don't get evaluated. Should I file this as a bug?

EricOsmanski
Valued Contributor

After thinking about this more, the "MF" substitution variables will not work. I think what may would be to use If (RowE1MemberName In 'ThisList') Then

Where ThisList would be replaced with a BRString which would return a list of all Accounts with a Liability Account Type.

Thanks Eric, using the In syntax is a working solution, albeit a brute force one.  I would love to understand more how you arrived at the conclusion that |MF| substitutions won't work here.  This is the type of info I am hoping to see in the documentation.  Else we're just throwing ideas against the wall until something sticks.

Final conditional string:

If (RowE1MemberName In XFBR(XFBR_FormattingHelper, InAccountTypeIsLiability, Account=[AccountHierarchy])) Then
TextColor = Red
End If

Final XFBR:

If args.FunctionName.XFEqualsIgnoreCase("InAccountTypeIsLiability") Then
Dim accountDescendantsAreLiability As List(Of Member) = BRapi.Finance.Members.GetDescendants(si,BRapi.Finance.Dim.GetDimPk(si,"AllAccounts"),accountId).Where(Function(x) BRApi.Finance.Account.GetAccountType(si, x.MemberId).ToString = "Liability").ToList()
Dim strLiabilityAccounts As String = String.Join(",",accountDescendantsAreLiability.Select(Function(x) x.Name))
Return strLiabilityAccounts
End If

Couple of items if others stumble upon this thread:

The conditional In statements expects a comma separated literal string. Not a List(Of String), and not a string delimited by anything else.

This is still less than ideal as you are returning a large majority of the hierarchy for each and every member this is evaluated against and you must still update the XFBR string if you have multiple hierarchies in play.

I'll file a bug/enhancement request for the issues and inconsistencies noted.

Thanks,

Dave