I have a question for anyone who uses the Excel SetCell functionality...I am setting a cell and have the NoDataAsZero property set to TRUE

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Tami Chuang

3/5/2018

I have a question for anyone who uses the Excel SetCell functionality...I am setting a cell and have the NoDataAsZero property set to TRUE. If I have an existing value and try to send a missing value to the same cell, i would expect it to overwrite the previous value with the blank value as a zero and see nothing after submitting the sheet. However, the missing data is not treated that way and I still have the previous data. I have data existing in Forms from sending to BeforeAdj and am pushing the SetCell value to the same (BeforeAdj). Is this the expected behaviour here or am I missing something?

1 REPLY 1

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Eric Osmanski

I've noticed the same - I've had to submit zeros (although not recommended, was the only way). Interesting enough, if you do SetDataCell in a formula within the application and set the same property as True, it will clear the data.

For strictly offline data collection, CSV loading, Form loading, SetCell are the main ones. But with the new spreadsheet functionality, couldn't they just collect inside?

I think it depends on what you are doing - if you had a Form that the user would want to submit in Excel... previously, they would either need to export it from the Forms workflow channel or log into Excel and refresh it. With spreadsheet, you can just build the Form into Excel and put it right on the Forms workflow... the user doesn't need an Add-In as well which sometimes is the issue.
And SetCells in and of themselves are ""dangerous"" ... I typically try to avoid if possible