Intermittent errors (nulreferenceexception), without access to investigate

dbeavon
Contributor

Is there a non-admin role in onestream for health/performance monitoring, without any admin rights?

Else is there a REST API to auto-export the "tasks" and "errors" logs on a recurring basis?

FYI, Since our recent v8 upgrade, my REST api calls to the onestream service are failing with intermittent and unexplainable issues.  The api never returns anything helpful in the way of an error message.  I only get 5xx codes with no content bodies.  I'm assuming that any information that may be relevant is found only by digging into the nullreferenceexception's (in the adminstrative tools found in the front-end U/I below)

dbeavon_1-1727188769395.png

... while software developers should not be able to administer a production environment, we should be able to at least investigate these random and unpredictable errors (internal server errors).  I'm hoping there is some sort of read-only role for that, or at least an API to export the information that would otherwise be found under "tasks" and "errors".

Any tips would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

I really truly dislike that error message. Here you go. However, it tells you that you are creating an object (it could be a member, a dictionary, blah, blah). Now, if you are trying to call a method from that object like, say, entmbr.Name

dim entMbr as Member = code for get member

if entMbr.Name = something then

Imagine a scenario where there is no entity member, the object (entMbr) is null, and you are trying to get something from nothing. That is what that error is telling you. So, I would say look in your code and see where you are not using a null check to get something from a variable. Again, this is not a solution to your issue, but it will save you some sanity.

From a security perspective, do you have any ideas on how non-admins can see the details?  I can't even get into these screens at the moment (error logs, and tasks).

I think I figured it out.  Looks like we have to grant everybody access to these system roles:

dbeavon_0-1727195774090.png

Please sign in! dbeavon