Member list parameter formatting

SamKing
New Contributor II

Hi,

Is there a way to format the options in a member list parameter to only display the member description? I've tried using :Name(|MFUD1Desc|) but this doesn't change the outcome visible to the end users.

SamKing_0-1656626002771.png

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi SamKing: this is controlled by the 'Display Member' field in the Parameter Settings.  Valid options are:

• Name
  • Description
  • Name and Description

Name here means MemberName and Description means MemberDescription.  Change to 'Description' and you should be all set.

Cheers   -db

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi SamKing: this is controlled by the 'Display Member' field in the Parameter Settings.  Valid options are:

• Name
  • Description
  • Name and Description

Name here means MemberName and Description means MemberDescription.  Change to 'Description' and you should be all set.

Cheers   -db

Hi db,

How do I navigate to parameter settings? I'm trying to fetch the name and description for a drop down in a member dialog. I'm using version 8

Hi sukensheth: I'm not on version 8, but I will assume its the same as my current version.  Application > Dashboards > Select your relevant parameter > Display Member

My bad. I was trying to find it on a member dialog (Silly of me). Thanks though

SamKing
New Contributor II

Thanks db, worked like a charm!

As a side note, is there a way to format dimensions in a combo box? We have combo boxes in dashboards that allow users to filter by entity, it would be of great use if we can highlight in bold selections that are consolidations, i.e. European entities consolidated. These consolidation entities contain the prefix 'E_'.

db_pdx
Contributor III

I don't believe there is a way to format individual items within the list of values that are displayed in the combo box.  The formatting parameters would apply to the entire combo box.

However, you could do some visual indentation as a potential method for achieving your desired result.  Reference post here: Question: Can I create a dashboard dropdown or list box which contains a representation of a hierarc...

This is definitely on the advanced side.  It takes advantage of Bound List parameters which can have a Display value be a unique/arbitrary representation of the selection while returning the MemberName for consumption by the result of the dashboard components.

SamKing
New Contributor II

Thanks - whilst not ideal it will better outline the hierarchy to users who aren't as well-versed in the corporate structure.