Nested parameters to return one value

DDrider
New Contributor III

I am building a report that uses a nested parameter.  This report will run on a dashboard within Guided Reporting if it makes any difference. My parameters are Member List types.

EntityParam1 uses a member filter of E#Corporate.ChildrenInclusive. This is controlled by a combo box on the dashboard. Let's pretend the user selects E#Legal as the value for the combo box, one of the children of E#Corporate.
EntityParam2 has a member filter of |!EntityParam1!|.ChildrenInclusive.Children
The member filter I want it to return is E#Legal.ChildrenInclusive.Children

When I run this nested parameter, it runs E#Corporate.ChildrenInclusive.ChildrenInclusive.Children, which throws an error at some point. 

How can I use EntityParam1 to only return the E#Legal member for my nested filter?
I would think the answer lies within a literal parameter but haven't found a method that automatically uses the selected value of my first parameter.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

FredLucas
Contributor II

Hi @DDrider,

I believe your set up should work as long as the combo box that holds the EntityParam1 is refreshing (as part of the User Interface Action) the dashboard that contains the component that uses the EntityParam2.

What does the error message says? I find it strange that is actually trying to do " E#Corporate.ChildrenInclusive.ChildrenInclusive.Children" are you sure that is what is causing the issue? Can you give us more information on how you've got to that conclusion?

I'd do two things, 1) update the Param2 member filter to include the dimension prefix like this:  E#|!EntityParam1!|.ChildrenInclusive.Children; 2) run the dashboard in debug mode to understand what might be going on (if step 1 does not fix it).