Performance of tabbed dashboard vs Index type dashboard.

SauravSarkar
New Contributor II

Hi All ,

I was trying to build a dashboard with a Index or a guided List like below. For the below dashboard these are the steps I took : 

a. Created A Delimited Parameter  with all the reports 

b. Created an embedded dashboard with the value of this parameter 

c. Created a List Box with the delimited parameter. 

So on the Main dashboard when one click on any of the values on the list , the Dashboard opens on the right. 

Although it works , I noticed that the performance of the dashboard is quite bad compared to if I create the same dashboard with tabs .  Both the dashboards are using the same underlying cube view then why is there a difference in Performance ? 

Is there something wrong with my approach ? 

Index Type Dashboard.jpgTabbed dashboardTabbed dashboard

Regards,

Saurav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, yes, that is in line with my expectations without knowing anything else about your solution. Tabbed dashboards (that are not using dynamic dashboards) load all tabs in memory when the dashboard is opened. That is a heavier burden on memory, but as it keeps all tabs in memory, it is faster to display a report when you click on a different tab. 

Using a combo box does not load all reports to memory, but opens them when a user clicks on a new selection. This one may be slower in opening individual reports, but is less of a drain on the server's memory as it is not keeping all of the tabs in memory.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, what do you mean by "performance is quite bad"? Do you mean when you click on a different parameter, it takes much longer for the report to display? Or do you mean that scrolling and in the report is slow? Or something else?

Hi ,

On the Dashboard with Index - when you click on one of the reports it takes longer to render and showcase the report rather than when the dashboard is in Tabbed format. For example : The Balance sheet check report takes around 4 secs to display in the Dashboard with Index but in the Tabbed dashboard it displays in 0.3 secs . 

I have checked the Activity logs to confirm it . 

Hi, yes, that is in line with my expectations without knowing anything else about your solution. Tabbed dashboards (that are not using dynamic dashboards) load all tabs in memory when the dashboard is opened. That is a heavier burden on memory, but as it keeps all tabs in memory, it is faster to display a report when you click on a different tab. 

Using a combo box does not load all reports to memory, but opens them when a user clicks on a new selection. This one may be slower in opening individual reports, but is less of a drain on the server's memory as it is not keeping all of the tabs in memory.