Quick View: Unable to create Excel Named Range?

m_b_b_15
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

Quick View new user here, and for some reason I cannot create a new Quick View in a different Excel workbook. Is there a setting or feature I need to have active?  I have an active Quick View in another workbook, and want to create a different one in a new book. I am logged in, and I click the icon, but receive this message: Unable to create Excel Named Range 'QuickView_QuickView1' using '=[workbook name]$B$2'

Any insight is appreciated and thank you in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

Hello! 

To clarify, do you want to copy the active QV from one workbook to a new workbook? If so, from an active QV click on the drop down next to Quick Views in the OneStream XF excel ribbon and select “Create Copy of Selected Quick View”. Include the file name and sheet name in the “Refers To” block as follows then click ok:
=[name.xlsx]Sheet1!CellAddress
Example:  =[qvcopytest.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1

Be sure to use the correct syntax with single apostrophes if there are spaces in the destination’s tab name. No changes for spaces in file name. Example: =[Test file.xlsx]'Test Tab'!$A$1

If you're clicking the "create QV" button on the context pane and getting the error, it looks like the range isn't including the tab name so maybe you can enter it manually? I've never received that error and OS usually prepopulate the "refers to" range correctly for me but let me know if you have any questions on my suggestions. 

-Nicole

View solution in original post

db_pdx
Contributor III

Something else to check.  Make sure you don't already have a 'QuickView_QuickView1' named range defined in the workbook that is giving you trouble.

Check from Excel > Formulas > Name Manger > check if that named range is taken.  If so, delete it and try creating the quickview again.

Alternatively, try giving the QV a different name altogether.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

Hello! 

To clarify, do you want to copy the active QV from one workbook to a new workbook? If so, from an active QV click on the drop down next to Quick Views in the OneStream XF excel ribbon and select “Create Copy of Selected Quick View”. Include the file name and sheet name in the “Refers To” block as follows then click ok:
=[name.xlsx]Sheet1!CellAddress
Example:  =[qvcopytest.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1

Be sure to use the correct syntax with single apostrophes if there are spaces in the destination’s tab name. No changes for spaces in file name. Example: =[Test file.xlsx]'Test Tab'!$A$1

If you're clicking the "create QV" button on the context pane and getting the error, it looks like the range isn't including the tab name so maybe you can enter it manually? I've never received that error and OS usually prepopulate the "refers to" range correctly for me but let me know if you have any questions on my suggestions. 

-Nicole

db_pdx
Contributor III

Something else to check.  Make sure you don't already have a 'QuickView_QuickView1' named range defined in the workbook that is giving you trouble.

Check from Excel > Formulas > Name Manger > check if that named range is taken.  If so, delete it and try creating the quickview again.

Alternatively, try giving the QV a different name altogether.

katiemiller
New Contributor

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? We are having a similar issue, but the file is over 20 tabs and has a lot of linked workbooks. It is also a shared file saved within OneDrive. The other thing to note is that XFGet formulas work just fine. It's just when we try to create a new tab and insert a QV then we receive that error. We have since broken the linked workbooks and still it will not work. Any help is appreciated!!