Copy Data Data Management Step and Derived Real Data

Montreux
New Contributor III

I have an input sheet in which data can be entered for an override of another number.  The Cell Status "Is Real Data" flag is used in a rule.  If an override is entered in the early part of the monthly year but not later parts a derived amount of 0 is shown and it's "Is Real Data" flag is false. 

My problem is when I use the Data Management step Copy Data to copy to a new scenario.  The 0 cells after the initial user input are now "Is Real Data" = True and "Is Derived Data" = False.  My rule now treats these 0s as if they were entered by user and so doesn't work.  This seems very wrong to me that the Copy Data step can't get the details of the Cell Status right.  

Can someone explain what to do here to preserve the cell status after a copy?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I guess it's because you're asking to copy the following periods too. If you only copy data from/to the dataunits where there are actual records, the results will be the same; if you copy the following periods, which point at different dataunits, I understand Copy Data will look to copy each dataunit individually, so if a source dataunit has nothing, a new record will be created for the target dataunit containing zero - because the copy has to happen no matter what (I think - you can ask Support for the details).

Your use case might work better with a Scenario Formula instead, or using Hybrid Scenarios.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I suspect the problem is not copying data, but differences between Scenario configurations.  Can you post the Settings section of source and target Scenarios, as well as the Source View and Destination View of your DataManagement step?

Montreux
New Contributor III

Sure, here is the DM job for Copy Data, 

Montreux_0-1701071470721.png

And here are the settings of the basecase and target scenarios, 

Montreux_1-1701071560832.png

Montreux_2-1701071667847.png

Here is the copied scenario's cell status, Simulation 2,

Montreux_3-1701072161700.png

Here is the original scenario, Basecase,

Montreux_4-1701072225114.png

I guess it's because you're asking to copy the following periods too. If you only copy data from/to the dataunits where there are actual records, the results will be the same; if you copy the following periods, which point at different dataunits, I understand Copy Data will look to copy each dataunit individually, so if a source dataunit has nothing, a new record will be created for the target dataunit containing zero - because the copy has to happen no matter what (I think - you can ask Support for the details).

Your use case might work better with a Scenario Formula instead, or using Hybrid Scenarios.

Montreux
New Contributor III

Ok, a derived/ notReal zero would be what I would expect from the copy process, not a notDerived/real 0.  I will write a rule to copy data going forward.  Thanks.