DynamicCalcTextInput

Kai
New Contributor III

May I have an example of how to use "DynamicCalcTextInput" Formula Type? I cannot find the place to put text annotation without using data cell annotation. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, honestly, I have not used this setting yet. Nevertheless, the Design and Reference Guide says this:

The DynamicCalcTextInput Formula Type works the same as a DynamicCalc formula, but it allows users to input annotations on Cube View cells without having to use the Data Attachment Dialog.  When this formula is used, the user can make annotations on Dynamic Calc Members following the same method as a non-calculated Member.

Writing Formulas (onestream.com)

To me that means that this allows you to input annotations on dynamic members the same way as non-calculated members. I.e. one still needs to use the V#Annotation member. There was probably the need in the market to comment against dynamically calculated members which are using DynamicCalc. So this new setting seems to allow this and thereby eliminating the need to use a separate member to store annotations against.

So what you are describing sounds like it is working as designed. Text input is only possible on the annotation member. But unlike DynamicCalc where this is not possible, DynamidCalcTextInput allows you to do that while still displaying dynamically calculated results on other View dimension members.

I ran a quick test and it seems to work as I suspect:

Henning_0-1706782198367.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, honestly, I have not used this setting yet. Nevertheless, the Design and Reference Guide says this:

The DynamicCalcTextInput Formula Type works the same as a DynamicCalc formula, but it allows users to input annotations on Cube View cells without having to use the Data Attachment Dialog.  When this formula is used, the user can make annotations on Dynamic Calc Members following the same method as a non-calculated Member.

Writing Formulas (onestream.com)

To me that means that this allows you to input annotations on dynamic members the same way as non-calculated members. I.e. one still needs to use the V#Annotation member. There was probably the need in the market to comment against dynamically calculated members which are using DynamicCalc. So this new setting seems to allow this and thereby eliminating the need to use a separate member to store annotations against.

So what you are describing sounds like it is working as designed. Text input is only possible on the annotation member. But unlike DynamicCalc where this is not possible, DynamidCalcTextInput allows you to do that while still displaying dynamically calculated results on other View dimension members.

I ran a quick test and it seems to work as I suspect:

Henning_0-1706782198367.png

MarcusH
Contributor III

I have used DynamicCalcTextInput and the text you enter is indeed stored against DataCellAnnotation (I don't know why).

Dim thisCellText As String = api.Data.GetDataCellEx(POV).DataCellAnnotation

We use it to override the dynamic calc. We have validations that feed into the Confirmation Rules. Certain users can enter an explanation of the validation problem and that then cancels the validation error.

Kai
New Contributor III

Great! Many thanks to both of you, Henning and Marcus. I am able to replicate the results that you mentioned. I didn't know that DynamicCalc cannot work with V#Annotation without DynamicCalcTextInput. I did some additional testing and noticed that V#Annotation will always be pushed to DataCellAnnotation automatically, regardless of whether the member is a DynamicCalc or not.

Kai

Please sign in! Kai