How do you handle a sale of a division in your company to other corporations?

Davy
Contributor

Happy inflation and recession (aka layoffs) everyone <silly grin>

How do you handle a sale of a division in your company to other corporations?

For example:

We have a Division1 selling widgets. It is under a consolidation roll-up for external reporting purposes. After we sold it, we want to stop tracking its history of transactions, so we create another member in Entity dimension called Division1_sold, put it under a different 2nd roll-up in Entity dimension.  We need it to track and wrap up any costs/ revenue pertaining to Division1 that is no longer ours, and so we don't want to report nor consolidate it under the first roll-up.
Is there a more elegant way to solve this problem?  I see that OneStream allows us to set up for each member (such as Division1) that has  a date when 100% consolidation begins and ends.

Thank you for your advice. I'm in SLO California. If anyone lives near me, let's meet up for lunch - my treat!!
4 REPLIES 4

Davy
Contributor

All consolidating entities

|__   Division 1 (has data from 1/2022 to 5/2022)

|__   Division 2

Division 1 is sold in June, so we create a new Division 1_sold

|__   Division 2

All sold entities

|__   Division 1_sold (has data from 6/2022 and beyond )

|__   Division xxx

Is there a better more elegant way – e.g. no need to create a Division 1_sold ?

|__   Division 2

All sold entities

|__   Division 1 (has data from 6/2022 and beyond )

|__   Division xxx

Davy
Contributor

Maybe the trick is to use its settings of "Time" for Consolidation:

Time is set as (Default Time) :

Davy_0-1659132806641.png

Davy
Contributor

When Time is set as a month such as 2022M5, what does it mean?  Does it mean that starting in Month 5 of 2022, the consolidation will be 100% ?

Davy_1-1659132868077.png

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

If the default has no input, then it is 100%. If you need to start with 0% and then increase to 100% in May 2022, then you have to set the default to 0%, and then 2022M5 to 100%. The 100% rolls forward till the next change takes place.