People Planning Calculations

aorange
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I am wondering if anyone would be will to help me with a business rule for our people planning.  I am not sure how to read these, but I am trying to determine where in the rule it's telling which periods to calculate.  For some reason it's not calculating all the periods.

If anyone could help, please send me a message and let me know if you could point me in the right direction. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

so now, are you seeing the employees in those departments getting numbers for all periods? Also your calc is getting data from the cube, so could it be that there is no data there in the cube for those periods?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

DanielWillis
Contributor III

Hi aorange,

Can you not share more detail here? This is what the community forums are for rather than taking things offline. Help, if offered, is offered with the understanding that it is free for all with access to the forums to learn from.

There are a few places your period limitation could be coming from:

1. People Planning settings, e.g., default plan start/end period, plan period scenario settings. This might be the case if it is the start or end periods not getting calculated.

2. Calculation Plan Period Filter or Conditional Execution Statement conditions

3. If it is a BR being used in the allocation method (which it sounds like it is), then the logic in that BR. It might be a period limitation or it might be that the calculations in certain periods just equate to 0.

If you have ruled out the first 2 options I would suggest sharing the code that is being executed (ensuring to remove anything confidential)

Regards,

Daniel

aorange
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel, 

Thank you for the reply.  The calculation is pointing to a business rule.  I wasn't sure what to look for in the rule and didn't want to post the entire rule, it's quite long.

How it's currently working is it's calculating period 1 and then skipping periods that would be actuals. There is a period filter, but it's always calculated all 12 periods in the past.  We moved to a rolling forecast and I think something was overlooked in the process. 

Here is the period filter:

aorange_0-1726706972081.png

Are there some keywords or expressions I should look for in the business rule? I am wondering if it has something to do with this? I apologize I don't know business rules.  Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. 

aorange_1-1726707905999.png

DanielWillis
Contributor III

That code looks like the out of the box rule in PLP_ParamHelper and there doesn't appear to be anything limiting the calc to periods there.

PPerCount is the number of plan periods. Have you checked in your PLP Settings for the plan periods settings?

Which periods are being calculated and which aren't (that you expect to be calculated)?

FYI there are some code forum tags which are better to use than posting screenshots of code.

DanielWillis_0-1726708848851.png

aorange
New Contributor III

I would like all 12 periods to calculate.  I compared the out of the box rule to our custom rule and there's only two sections that appear to be different.  

Here is one of them:

And here is the other:

I'm just not sure what to look for. For example I am doing a period 6 forecast and it's calculating period 1, skipping 2-5 and calculating 6-12.  If this is too much to look at I understand and I can put in a case for some consulting time. 

DanielWillis
Contributor III

When you look at the "Plan Data" tab can you see all the periods being calculated or just ones you mentioned?

aorange
New Contributor III

It's only calculating the ones I mentioned on the plan data tab.  Also it changes each month.  So last month period 1 calculated then it skipped 2-4 and calculated 6-12.  The periods are still in the data tab for each period it's just that the Amount is 0 for those periods.  

Is there a conditional logic on the second tab? I forgot what that is even called (calculation plan?). The one after the allocation tab, that is probably where the skipping is coming from.

aorange
New Contributor III

Hi ckattookaran, 

Thank you for your reply. 

The allocation tab has this formula in it.  So it's pointing to the business rule. So somewhere in the rule I would think it has to be telling it not to calculate all the periods?  

XFBR(People_ParamHelper_CB, GetDriverValue, entityMember=!|Entity|, accountMember=[VacationRate], ud1Member=None, periodNumber=|CalcPer|, viewmember=[Periodic]) * XFBR(People_ParamHelper_CB, GetDriverValue, entityMember=!|Entity|, accountMember=[WorkingHoursPerEmployee], ud1Member=None, periodNumber=|CalcPer|, viewmember=[Periodic])

Not allocation tab, the one next to it, has a column called conditional something, so look in that tab and see where this allocation is used and check if there is a conditional check there.

aorange
New Contributor III

The calculations tab has the period filter set to:

1-|PPerCount|

ckattookaran_0-1727204937550.png

What is in the Conditional Execution statement?

aorange
New Contributor III

It is set to calculate for certain departments. 

aorange_0-1727205074018.png

so now, are you seeing the employees in those departments getting numbers for all periods? Also your calc is getting data from the cube, so could it be that there is no data there in the cube for those periods?

aorange
New Contributor III

Ah, that's it.  The issues seems to be the data is missing from the cube for the periods that are not being calculated.  Thank you for your help.  Now to figure out the best way to fix that. 

aorange
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for the help and getting me pointed in the right direction!