Time Member POV CVs

cons1
New Contributor III

Hi,

Is there a way where users can input From and To dates time members in a cube view? Currently, I am using a parameter in the time member field in POV section of cube view.

I have a business rule with FROM and TO dates (2022M1 to 2022M4) and then extract all the periods within (2021 M1 M2 M3 and M4) that time frame in a dt. 

And now, I want to incorporate this function in the cube view. feel free to drop your inputs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi KAC: sounds like you're most of the way there.  You'll move the time selection to the column (or row) section of your Cube View so that it can expand into multiple periods (the fixed POV only allows for a single selection).  To get your member expansion across the finish line so it can be used in the Cube View you'll need to:

• Put your logic into a Finance Business rule (MemberList FinanceFunctionType)
    • There is a reference snippet you can follow: 'Build Member Info Lists'
  • Reference your function from the Cube View column selection using the custom member list syntax:
    • T#Root.CustomMemberList(BRName=MyBusinessRuleName, MemberListName=MyMemberListName, Param1=[|!SelectionOne!|], Param2=[|!SelectionTwo!|])
    • Check under the 'Samples -> Custom Member List Expressions' from the Member Filter Builder for additional syntax options
  • Define your selection parameters via standard parameters and have those passed to the BR-Function listed above

That said, I would strongly encourage you to explore the standard member expansions before going the custom route.  The out-of-box member expansions are super slick and cover >90% of our reporting needs.  We've found using out-of-box functionality easier for our report writers to comprehend and maintain.  You can even put the member expansion selection into its own parameter (delimited list).  Time Member Expansions that come to mind:

• .Months / .Quarters / .HalfYears
  • .AllPriorInYear / .AllPriorInYearInclusive
  • .AllNextInYear / .AllNextinYearInclusive
  • .PriorN  (where the N [1..12] will give you that many prior periods)
  • .NextN (same as above but forward periods)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi KAC: sounds like you're most of the way there.  You'll move the time selection to the column (or row) section of your Cube View so that it can expand into multiple periods (the fixed POV only allows for a single selection).  To get your member expansion across the finish line so it can be used in the Cube View you'll need to:

• Put your logic into a Finance Business rule (MemberList FinanceFunctionType)
    • There is a reference snippet you can follow: 'Build Member Info Lists'
  • Reference your function from the Cube View column selection using the custom member list syntax:
    • T#Root.CustomMemberList(BRName=MyBusinessRuleName, MemberListName=MyMemberListName, Param1=[|!SelectionOne!|], Param2=[|!SelectionTwo!|])
    • Check under the 'Samples -> Custom Member List Expressions' from the Member Filter Builder for additional syntax options
  • Define your selection parameters via standard parameters and have those passed to the BR-Function listed above

That said, I would strongly encourage you to explore the standard member expansions before going the custom route.  The out-of-box member expansions are super slick and cover >90% of our reporting needs.  We've found using out-of-box functionality easier for our report writers to comprehend and maintain.  You can even put the member expansion selection into its own parameter (delimited list).  Time Member Expansions that come to mind:

• .Months / .Quarters / .HalfYears
  • .AllPriorInYear / .AllPriorInYearInclusive
  • .AllNextInYear / .AllNextinYearInclusive
  • .PriorN  (where the N [1..12] will give you that many prior periods)
  • .NextN (same as above but forward periods)

cons1
New Contributor III

Hi db_pdx

Thank you for this information, I will use it in some cases. It seems that I don't need to do anything related to cube view since the FDX adapter only references this CV.