Closing Vs Locking & their automation

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi all, what do you usually suggest to clients as last step of a budget/forecasting cycle, to Close the workflow hierarchy or to Lock its workflows? I am just checking if there is any disadvantage by using one against the other.

Also, is there a way of automating the closing/locking so that it is trigger on a certain date? I was thinking I can may create a rule encapsulated in a data management job and schedule that, but is there an easier way? Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Closing Workflows is not recommended anymore. It does some "optimizations" behind the scenes, severing ties from the original sources of data and reshaping records in a data-warehouse-oriented fashion; which means that data retrieval becomes slower, some drilldowns stop working, and reopening the workflows later on might create problems. It's a feature we recommend only when you're 200% certain that the data will never, ever, be modified again, and you are ok with paying a performance penalty to retrieve it (think "Amazon Glacier", or tape backups).

As for automating locking - apart from the Lock After Certify option in Application Properties, I'm not aware of any feature to do that automatically. A rule from a DM job sounds like a good way to go.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Closing Workflows is not recommended anymore. It does some "optimizations" behind the scenes, severing ties from the original sources of data and reshaping records in a data-warehouse-oriented fashion; which means that data retrieval becomes slower, some drilldowns stop working, and reopening the workflows later on might create problems. It's a feature we recommend only when you're 200% certain that the data will never, ever, be modified again, and you are ok with paying a performance penalty to retrieve it (think "Amazon Glacier", or tape backups).

As for automating locking - apart from the Lock After Certify option in Application Properties, I'm not aware of any feature to do that automatically. A rule from a DM job sounds like a good way to go.

Is there any SQL we can use to lock units based on the Entity hierarchy for specific scenarios and times? 

Don't use SQL, use the officially-supported BRApi calls in rules. Search in your helper tree for "lock" and they will appear.

Hello Jack, do you know if there is a way to reopen a closed workflow? Someone closed it somehow, but we can find how or how to open it. Thanks

@BenvanBergenClosing/Opening of a workflow is done from the Root workflow profile of the workflow hierarchy. The 2 buttons are next to each other.

AndreaF_0-1691402197407.png

BenvanBergen
New Contributor III

Hi Andrea, Thanks a lot for your quick help, Feels silly but I don't see the screen with Manage Workflow. Workflow Name is Process, Certify.

I have below in the root.

BenvanBergen_0-1691403566499.png

1 level lower it's this view.

BenvanBergen_1-1691403610574.png

@BenvanBergen  I think "SupplyChain_Inputs" is not a root workflow. You cannot have input or adjustment steps in a root workflow as far as I know. A root workflow is one that has a cube icon in from of it.

AndreaF_0-1691404162704.png

BenvanBergen
New Contributor III

Wonderful! Thanks so much. Didn't realize that some could be done at that level.

gregwills
New Contributor II

Is there any SQL we can use to lock units based on the Entity hierarchy for specific scenarios and times?