Data Source with two numeric values

Nirod95
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a data source with two numeric values, one being amount and the other one being volume. But I am not sure if this is possible. 

Objective would be to be able to look at a P&L either in currency amounts or in unit volume. Is it possible?

like this

Nirod95_0-1700068303165.png

6 REPLIES 6

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is OneStream, of course it's possible 😁 and as with everything in OneStream, there is more than one way to go about it...

One approach is to enable an Attribute Value dimension (in the Integration tab of your Cube), add it to the DataSource, and map it to the column. This will bring the numbers to Stage tables, and from there you can do anything you want with them from a Business Rule.

Another approach is to use a Derivative Rule that executes on all records, taking the Volume and generating new records where its number is mapped to Amount (against some other intersection, of course).

Another approach is to have two datasources: one where Amount is mapped to Amount and one where it's mapped to Volume - again, they will obviously target different intersections.

(Note: When I say "different intersections", I mean they will be stored against different metadata members. You would probably have two different Account members, one of them NonFinancial.)

Nirod95
New Contributor

Thank you! i will give it a try!

nmejiaOS1
New Contributor

@Nirod95, it is possible to have a data source with two numeric values. You will need to set the 'Data Structure Type' field of your OneStream data source to 'Matrix Data'.

You then need to create two Source Dimensions in your data source for the two fields, make the 'Data Type' field 'Matrix Text', and add a Static Value to the Dimension member you would import to for each field. 

I would map Amount and Volumen to 2 different Flow members, which will allow you to toggle back and forth to look at the P&L at the two different amounts. 

Lol, yeah, I totally blanked out on the Matrix approach - probably because I find them a bit messier and occasionally surprising in how they work. But it's a great suggestion.

Great insight, @nmejiaOS1

chul
Contributor III

I second the matrix data approach. Amount (sales per unit? cost per unit?) and Volume sound like accounts broken out by a user defined dimension (e.g. unit). You would use Account as your Matrix Data. I wouldn't mess with Flow unless these are balance type accounts (they don't seem like they are to me).

cds