Is there a way to automatically Validate, Process etc after Import Step (or Forms or Journals)?

mgreenberg
Contributor II

In our people planning when you hit Complete on the Workspace it automatically goes through the Import, validate, Load steps.  Is there any way to do this when you start with Import, Forms or Journals and have it only stop if there is an error?  It would be much nicer if the user could kick it off and go do something else and have it be done when they get back.

5 REPLIES 5

NicolasArgente
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Yes it is possible. You could have a look at this article that is close to what you need : https://onestreamsoftware.service-now.com/sp/?id=kb_article_view&sys_kb_id=3cfcb981db191b808a435eea4...

I would like you to see also this code : https://community.onestreamsoftware.com/t5/Accepted-Code-Samples/Extender-Automate-Import-Validate-L...

Please give a kudo if it helps,
Thanks

Connect with me on:
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-argente/
If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.

mgreenberg
Contributor II

Hi Nicolas - thanks for the reply.  I looked at the article and that is just about batch posting.  What I am looking to do is when you Click Complete Workflow on the Input Forms or Input Journals or after you upload a file on the Import step that it automatically processes the remaining steps (Validate, Process, Confirm etc).   It look like that snipet would do that I just dont know how to call that snipet since this is standard OS functionality.   I dont want to have to add a Workspace step to do it.

For some reason I like using

BRApi.Import.Process.ValidateTransformation

BRApi.Import.Process.ValidateIntersections

BRApi.Import.Process.LoadCube

BRApi.DataQuality.Process.ExecuteProcessCube

vs. the Harvest approach. It is more readable than the other approach. Here is a snippet that I use. This is been done from a Dashboard button, so in your case those cannot be used (assuming you are taking the approach of using an Event handler)

Private Function LoadToCube(ByVal si As SessionInfo, ByVal globals As BRGlobals, ByVal args As DashboardExtenderArgs) As XFSelectionChangedTaskResult
			Try
				Dim selectionResult As New XFSelectionChangedTaskResult()
				Dim wfProfile As WorkflowProfileInfo = BRApi.Workflow.Metadata.GetProfile(si, si.WorkflowClusterPk.ProfileKey)
				Dim wfProfileParent As WorkflowProfileInfo = BRApi.Workflow.Metadata.GetProfile(si, wfProfile.ParentProfileKey)

Dim timeName As String = TimeDimHelper.GetNameFromId(si.WorkflowClusterPk.TimeKey)
				Dim wfClusterPk As WorkflowUnitClusterPk = BRAPi.Workflow.General.GetWorkflowUnitClusterPk(si, $"{wfProfileParent.Name}.Event Load", "Plan_Weekly", timeName & "W1")

'Complete the IMPORT-VALIDATE-LOAD-PROCESS Workflow Steps

'Get the Workflow info so that we can determine which steps can be executed
				Dim wfInfo As WorkflowInfo = BRApi.Workflow.Status.GetWorkflowStatus(si, wfClusterPk, True)
				If Not wfInfo Is Nothing Then
'					'Check whether load transfrom is enabled

If Not wfInfo.GetStep(StepClassificationTypes.DataLoadTransform) Is Nothing Then
						Dim impProcessInfo As LoadTransformProcessInfo = BRApi.Import.Process.ExecuteParseAndTransform(si, wfClusterPk, Nothing, Nothing, TransformLoadMethodTypes.ReplaceBackgroundAllTimeAllSourceId, SourceDataOriginTypes.FromDirectConnection, True)
						If impProcessInfo.Status = WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed Then
							'Check whether validate transform is enabled
							' perform validate transformation
							If Not wfInfo.GetStep(StepClassificationTypes.ValidateTransform) Is Nothing Then
								Dim valTranProcessInfo As ValidationTransformationProcessInfo = BRApi.Import.Process.ValidateTransformation(si, wfClusterPk, True)
								If valTranProcessInfo.Status = WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed Then
									' perfomr validate intersection
									If Not wfInfo.GetStep(StepClassificationTypes.ValidateIntersection) Is Nothing Then
										Dim valIntersectProcessInfo As ValidateIntersectionProcessInfo = BRApi.Import.Process.ValidateIntersections(si, wfClusterPk, True)
										If valIntersectProcessInfo.Status = WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed Then
											'Check whether we can load cube
											If Not wfInfo.GetStep(StepClassificationTypes.LoadCube) Is Nothing Then
												Dim lcProcessInfo As LoadCubeProcessInfo = BRApi.Import.Process.LoadCube(si, wfClusterPk)
												If lcProcessInfo.Status = WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed Then
													'Check whether we can process cube
													If Not wfInfo.GetStep(StepClassificationTypes.ProcessCube) Is Nothing Then
														Dim pcProcessInfo As ProcessCubeProcessInfo = BRApi.DataQuality.Process.ExecuteProcessCube(si, wfClusterPk, StepClassificationTypes.ProcessCube, False)
														If Not pcProcessInfo.Status <> WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed Then
															selectionResult.Message = "Process cube failed."
															selectionResult.IsOK = False
															selectionResult.ShowMessageBox = True
															Return selectionResult
															Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFUserMsgException(si, Nothing, Nothing, "Process cube failed."))
														End If
													End If
												Else
													selectionResult.Message = "Load cube failed."
													Return selectionResult
													Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFUserMsgException(si, Nothing, Nothing, "Load cube failed."))
												End If
											End If											
										Else
											selectionResult.Message = "Validate intersection failed."
											Return selectionResult
											Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFUserMsgException(si, Nothing, Nothing, "Validate intersection failed."))
										End If
									End If									
								Else
									selectionResult.Message = "Validate Transformation failed."
									Return selectionResult
									Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFUserMsgException(si, Nothing, Nothing, "Validate Transformation failed."))
								End If

End If	
						Else
							selectionResult.Message = "Load and Transform failed."
							Return selectionResult
							Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFUserMsgException(si, Nothing, Nothing, "Load and Transform failed."))
						End If
					End If
				End If
				selectionResult.Message = "Cube loaded."
				selectionResult.IsOK = True
				Return selectionResult
			Catch ex As Exception
				Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFException(si, ex))
			End Try				
		End Function

NicolasArgente
Valued Contributor

Without going into too much detail, i suggest that you have a look at the Event Handlers.  It will require some coding. You should find some sample in the design doc too.

Connect with me on:
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-argente/
If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

Import would use the Transformation Event Handler

TonyToniTone_0-1657891674946.png

Forms would use the Forms Event Handler

TonyToniTone_1-1657891746208.png

More details on Event Handlers can be found in the Design and Reference Guide or Api Guide.