Range workflow scenario - Avoid resetting every year

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi, I have a scenario member which workflow properties are setup as follow:

AndreaF_0-1720020289403.png

However, this means we will have to Reset the scenario next year to change WF Time to 2025 and t change the WF start and end times.

Is there a way of using the Range in the workflow scenario settings and not having to Reset the scenario every year? We would be ok with users overwriting the overlapping periods (when working in 2025 they would overwrite the period from 2024M11 to 2025M4 which where previously within the Range of the 2024 WF Time), we are just trying to avoid having the extra step of resetting the scenario every year.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

T_Kress
Contributor II

I think there are two basic options (others may have more) which are:

1. Set up scenarios with ranges that are specific to each year's cycle:

T_Kress_0-1720021393947.png

2. Do not use a range and just have FCST01 with no range and reuse it every year (with the overlapping data you mentioned in your post)

If I am working with a budget or forecast cycle that spans more than one year, I lean towards option 1 where you name your scenarios per year and use ranges.  Then when you get into a new year, you can clear out the old data after a certain point if it is no longer needed.

If you want to keep the same scenario name AND use ranges, I think a scenario reset is the only way you will be able to change the range properties.

Teresa C. Kress
Principal Delivery Manager Partner Enablement | OneStream Software

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi, thank you for your reply @T_Kress . One issue I was having with option 2 is that when setting the Workflow tracking frequency to Yearly, even with the "Allow loads before workflow view year" Application setting set to true, the months from the previous year where not coming through on import, while the Range seems to have no issue in loading those months once the "Allow loads before workflow view year" Application setting is set to true.

Do you know if this is expected behavior for the Yearly WF tracking frequency or do you think there is maybe some other setting I have overlooked that is causing the previous year months not to load in option 2?