Switch off workflow profiles according to scenario

Richard_Mayo
New Contributor III

Hi everyone!

Quick question - I have a workflow profile which is used for the Actual scenario in order to post central overlay adjustments. This all works fine for our needs.

However, when it comes to other scenarios like Budget, Forecast, etc, it's just not at all relevant and my hope is that I can simply switch off the whole workflow in certain scenarios. However I can't see a setting for this in workflow profiles.

I can see I can easily make individual Forms and Import steps not appear according to scenario (in the "Profile Active" setting) but I can't see a way to switch off the entire workflow for any given scenario.

PS - the idea is that someone doesn't have to click through a bunch of forms in the budget/forecast every time which will always have zero/nil entries in them.

Let me know if you've got any ideas!

Thanks,
Richard

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MikeG
Contributor III

hi @Richard_Mayo , if you want to disable a Scenario from any WF POV, that setting is on the Scenario metadata member.

MikeG_0-1707848602843.png

That will disable the Scenario from the WFPOV selection.  If you want to hide a Workflow Task within the Cube Root Workflow Profile - put a Security Group on it and assign users to it that should be performing those Base Input tasks.  So you have two options: Scenario metadata properties to hide it from the WFPOV so nobody uses the Scenario in their WF, or Security Groups to hide a WF task by user.

MikeG_1-1707848864897.png

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

You can split the workflow cube root profiles by scenario type on the cube. When you e.g. have one for Actuals, and the rest for Budget (which I would not recommend, but using this as an example), you can set up a unique WF structure for each scenario type. That way you can have Tax Overlays for your Actual scenarios and not in the others.

However, that is something to be determined at the beginning of a project and is not that easy to do afterwards (each approach has its own pros and cons). So I guess given the current situation @MikeG gave you the most feasible options.

Here is an exemplary screenshot where suffixes have been used for ACT, BUD and FC. NotInUse serves as a placeholder.

Henning_0-1707908039828.png

Other than that, maybe you could post an IdeaStream for a set profile to inactive as per your screenshot number 4.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MikeG
Contributor III

Hi @Richard_Mayo ,

On that specific Scenario Type, set that Profile Active = False.  Note here, for the Forecast Scenario Type in this Base Input Profile, the Forms task is True so it will appear for all Forecast Scenarios.

MikeG_0-1707833621246.png

In the Workflow Profile editor, set this to False to hide that task for irrelevant Scenario Types.

Best solution is to also use Cube Root Workflow Profile Suffixes on the Cube Properties, to isolate valid Scenario Types by Cube Root.

Richard_Mayo
New Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Just to expand on the question a little - I took your approach and set the various workflow steps to Profile Active = False and this is good as it stops them appearing unnecessarily. (See screenshots 1-3).

But the thing is I can't see an option for switching the overall workflow to Profile Active = False for a given scenario (see screenshot 4) (unless I missed something in your suggestion/screenshot).

So what I end up with in OnePlace is a workflow with no Import/Forms/Adj steps (which is fine) in the Budget scenario in this example. That's fine but really I just want the entire workflow to not appear in the Budget scenario as there is no point in filling it in.

The best I've managed is to get rid of all Import/Forms/Adj steps as you suggested and set the workflow to be just a "Certify" workflow so the user simply clicks on Quick Certify and is done.

So it's not too bad but just wondering if I can truly make it disappear for certain scenarios where it's not needed?

Thanks,
Richard

You can split the workflow cube root profiles by scenario type on the cube. When you e.g. have one for Actuals, and the rest for Budget (which I would not recommend, but using this as an example), you can set up a unique WF structure for each scenario type. That way you can have Tax Overlays for your Actual scenarios and not in the others.

However, that is something to be determined at the beginning of a project and is not that easy to do afterwards (each approach has its own pros and cons). So I guess given the current situation @MikeG gave you the most feasible options.

Here is an exemplary screenshot where suffixes have been used for ACT, BUD and FC. NotInUse serves as a placeholder.

Henning_0-1707908039828.png

Other than that, maybe you could post an IdeaStream for a set profile to inactive as per your screenshot number 4.

Richard_Mayo
New Contributor III

Richard_Mayo_0-1707845965981.png

Richard_Mayo_1-1707845981353.png

Richard_Mayo_2-1707845992946.png

Richard_Mayo_3-1707846000034.png

Richard_Mayo_4-1707846007549.png

MikeG
Contributor III

hi @Richard_Mayo , if you want to disable a Scenario from any WF POV, that setting is on the Scenario metadata member.

MikeG_0-1707848602843.png

That will disable the Scenario from the WFPOV selection.  If you want to hide a Workflow Task within the Cube Root Workflow Profile - put a Security Group on it and assign users to it that should be performing those Base Input tasks.  So you have two options: Scenario metadata properties to hide it from the WFPOV so nobody uses the Scenario in their WF, or Security Groups to hide a WF task by user.

MikeG_1-1707848864897.png

Hope this helps,

Richard_Mayo
New Contributor III

Thanks both for the insights - I really appreciate it and have a much better understanding!

Regards,
Richard