Setting Dynamic No Input Period for Scenario

Satish
New Contributor

Hi Team,

Is there a way to set the No Input period property for Scenario dimension using XFBR/Parameter dynamically through DM Jobs.

for ex: a new scenario test2, needs to be copied with test1 scenario data across all years (Closed periods + Open periods).The requirement is to have "No Input Period" property as 0 during coping the data and later during consolidation thorough DM step set it to Current actual close period value (i.e for may close it should be 5).

Thank you in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for clarifying, in this case, I'd suggest writing a seeding calculation / data copy rule (maybe copying O#BeforeAdj to O#Import) instead of using the out of the box Data Copy step.

This Finance Rule calculation could still be triggered from a DataManagement Step if that's what you are looking for.

That would be simpler and resolve both the issue with the data copy and the consolidation.

Just for completeness, although not my preferred option for this case, what you are looking for is also technically possible. Not by using an XFBR / parameter but by updating the metadata via the following function: BRApi.Finance.MemberAdmin.SaveMemberInfo

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aformenti
Contributor

Hi @Satish,

May I ask why you need to that? Even if you have the No Input setting in the Scenario Properties, you can still seed/copy the data into the closed periods. The No Input just apply for manual input data.

As far as I know, the property can't be changed through an XFBR.

Hope that helps, 

FredLucas
Contributor II

Hi @Satish,

The  No Input period settings is usually used for Forecast scenarios so users can only input data against the months to be planned. As the previous months would have been loaded with Actuals.

As such, this setting does not prevent any data loads, calculations or consolidation from running in these periods.

Reading your question I have the feeling that your aim is to try and prevent the consolidation from running on those periods by using that setting (which would not be the case) - could you please clarify the use case so I can try and help you with potential options?

VishalPai
Contributor

Thanks @aformenti and @FredLucas for your responses

We do understand that No Input Period is to restrict user input for Closed months on Forecast/Range Scenarios

Below are few observations where we are facing issues while taking snapshot and consolidation for new scenarios created

1) If we create a new Scenario (Target) with No Input Period set to "5" (example as May Close) and run the data copy from Data Management step, the closed months are not getting copied with Source scenario values.

2) If we just set No Input Period to 0 and copy using Data Management the source scenario data will be available for closed periods, but the next step of consolidating the Target Scenario (New one) the accounts/UDs with member formulas that considers the No Input Period value for further calculations are providing wrong outputs.

Hence the above ask to automate and schedule job overnight as can we dynamically apply the values through one Data Management Sequence can perform the entire activity instead of current 2 DM Sequences - one sequence for Copy source scenario data with value set for Target Scenario as 0 and later one for Consolidation to be run once we set the No Input Period to value as per the Forecast cycle concluded (Closed months consideration)

Note :- We have multiple cubes to be considered for snapshot process.

Thanks,

Vishal Pai

Thanks for clarifying, in this case, I'd suggest writing a seeding calculation / data copy rule (maybe copying O#BeforeAdj to O#Import) instead of using the out of the box Data Copy step.

This Finance Rule calculation could still be triggered from a DataManagement Step if that's what you are looking for.

That would be simpler and resolve both the issue with the data copy and the consolidation.

Just for completeness, although not my preferred option for this case, what you are looking for is also technically possible. Not by using an XFBR / parameter but by updating the metadata via the following function: BRApi.Finance.MemberAdmin.SaveMemberInfo

Hope this helps.