Extensible documents - Chart component does not show data in PowerPoint

FlorisvdPoel
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I am trying to retrieve a Chart (Advanced) in my PowerPoint presentation, making use of the Alt Text functionality and extensible documents.

The chart component works perfectly fine in OneStream. I can see the chart and correct the data. However, when I open the PowerPoint containing a picture with the Alt Text, I get the following message:

FlorisvdPoel_0-1664535883006.png

The message prompts that there are no parameters for the selected item. However, my data adapter is linked to a cube view, which has an entity selection parameter in the cube view POV. When I click 'OK', the PowerPoint opens, but the chart area is empty. When I hardcode the entity in the cube view that is used as a source for the data adapter, I get the exact same error message, but the chart area is populated with data. 

Therefore, I think I'm doing something wrong with the parameter settings of the Chart (advanced) component. However, I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cosimo
Contributor II

Since your underlying data source is a cube view, have you tried generating the cube view within your document? {XF}{Application}{CubeViewReport}{YouCubeView}?

If it doesn't work with the cube view, then there may be other underlying issues. Can you have someone else try to run the xfDoc from another computer.

Another thought that comes to mind  is to ensure that your cube view's POV is set to the exact dimension members required to run and that none of the dimensions rely on a user session's POV (i.e. the POV bar on the right panel). 

Hope any of this helps! 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Cosimo
Contributor II

Since your underlying data source is a cube view, have you tried generating the cube view within your document? {XF}{Application}{CubeViewReport}{YouCubeView}?

If it doesn't work with the cube view, then there may be other underlying issues. Can you have someone else try to run the xfDoc from another computer.

Another thought that comes to mind  is to ensure that your cube view's POV is set to the exact dimension members required to run and that none of the dimensions rely on a user session's POV (i.e. the POV bar on the right panel). 

Hope any of this helps! 

FlorisvdPoel
New Contributor III

Hey Cosimo,

Thanks for your answer. Adding the cube view to the PowerPoint xfdoc file did the trick! 

It also did not work on other computers. And the POV was setup okay.

I am really confused about this workaround. It should not be the case right that the cube view behind the chart should also be in the document for it to work? I have also tried just adding a text box with an XFGetMemberProperty in it so that the parameter would be in the document. However, also no luck. The cube view solution is the only thing that works now. 

Thanks for your help, enjoy your weekend!

Floris van der Poel
cpmview

Sai_Maganti
Contributor II

For the chart component to work with parameters you need to put the parameter inside the powerpoint file some where just above the image. This way when you run the ppt from OneStream you'll get prompted for the parameter and then the chart will display acordingly.

Hi Sai,

When solely adding the parameter to the powerpoint, the chart component does not work. It has to be the cube view.

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview

Floris

It is enough your chart data comes from the cube view.

Best

Sai

I honestly find it odd that Floris has to include the cube view in the Powerpoint for the chart to render. You would think running the chart would 1st prompt the user to select parameter values but apparently the inserted cube view is performing the prompt and the chart is using the same selected parameters. 

I guess I got lucky on my end as my xfDocs included cube views and charts that used the same dashboard parameters! 

Cosimo

I didn't have to include the CV in the ppt. All I have is my chart with data from my CV and my CV has the parameter and I use the same parameter in the ppt and the alt text has the reference to Chart. Without the parameter included in the ppt the chart don't work for some reason inspite of having the parameter in the CV.

Sai