How to run multiple parameters per Loop in a Report Book?

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi all:

Looking for advice on how to implement multiple parameters in a report book.  The standard loop functionality does not meet current needs.  Our reporting requires a user to specify 3 UD's to report out their area of responsibility.  Each user will have multiple sets of 3 UD's to generate all of their reports.  In theory, they need to 'loop over' this set of parameters generating reports for each set.  However, the standard loop functionality is only 1 parameter and nested loops will generate unnecessary combinations as it would be the cartesian product of all parameters.

Example:

db_pdx_0-1638385918424.png

Anyone have suggestions on how to implement this?  Is there a way to call a BR from the report book to substitute multiple variables at a time?

I envision the ideal state as:

• User populates a simple CSV file with their report sets consisting of a name, UD2, UD3, UD4, and owner
  • User opens the report book
  • User selects their report set CSV file
  • The report book loops over each set (of multiple parameters) generating any # of reports using these parameters

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

2 REPLIES 2

adriaans
New Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

I'm interested if you managed to solve your issue, as we have something similar. 

Kind regards, 
Adriaan

Adriaan

Hi Adriaan: we ended up creating a custom solution to satisfy our requirements; we call it 'Report Set Manager.'  Its two custom SQL tables, a dashboard for maintaining the report sets and content with them, and a few BR functions that populate the parameters in the report book (by pulling from the custom SQL tables).

Maintenance of the Report Sets and the content within each set is end-user controlled.  The custom BR functions within report books is currently managed by our report writing team but, in theory, could likely also be transitioned to end users.

Let me know if you want more details on it.