XFDoc - PPT dynamic calcs

psc
New Contributor II

Hello,

Is it possible to add dynamic calcs (UD8 member) into an XF doc powerpoint? I am trying to create an XFCELL that uses a variance member in UD8. However, I keep getting 0 as the value.

Also, is there a way for a user to see the settings/parameters once an XFdoc is downloaded from OS? I saw an example in GolfStream, but it's only the final document (or appears to be).

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

johnnyRockets
New Contributor II

Hello,

This should be possible as long as your UD8 member is returning data in the system. The easiest way to ensure this is to right click on a data cell using your UD8 member in a Cube View:

johnnyRockets_0-1698935066529.png

You can copy the result shown below and paste directly into the PPT.

johnnyRockets_1-1698935119425.png

-->

johnnyRockets_2-1698935160628.png

When you open and process this PPT from the OS file explorer, it should return a value. Keep in mind that any time you make edits to the PPT, you will need to reupload it to OneStream.

johnnyRockets_3-1698935338878.png

The -9 value matches the original result from the Cube View.

For question #2, when the PPT is processed, it will only return the final document. One potential workaround would be to have another slide with just the parameters in quotes/ special characters (so they do not run). This will give you the reference point at a minimum.

You could also use captions or headers on the Cube View to display certain parameters after the document is processed. I'll be sure to reply again if we figure something else out!

psc
New Contributor II

Thanks! Is there a way to pass parameters into it as well? I can have parameters stand alone in the ppt, but not within the xfcell. Your copying and pasting method worked for getting the UD8 member to return, but if I replace let's say the time member with a parameter it only returns the XFCELL string like so: XFCell(Cb#ProtoCube:E#Group:C#Local:S#Aug 07_12 FCST:T#2023M5:V#Periodic:A#AEBITDA:F#EndBal:O#Top:I#Top:U1#Top:U2#Top:U3#Top:U4#Top:U5#Top:U6#None:U7#Top:U8#ActualvBudget, Culture=User, NumberFormat=N0, DisplayNoDataAsZero=True, Scale=0, FlipSign=False, ShowPercentSign=False, UseApostrophePrefix=False) 

johnnyRockets
New Contributor II

No problem! Passing a parameter into the XF Cell is possible as well. In your example, you would insert your parameter name into the XF Cell after the "T#". Remember to use the correct syntax for parameters (with pipes & exclamation points):

XFCell(Cb#ProtoCube:E#Group:C#Local:S#Aug 07_12 FCST:T#|!your_parameter_name!|:V#Periodic:A#AEBITDA:F#EndBal:O#Top:I#Top:U1#Top:U2#Top:U3#Top:U4#Top:U5#Top:U6#None:U7#Top:U8#ActualvBudget, Culture=User, NumberFormat=N0, DisplayNoDataAsZero=True, Scale=0, FlipSign=False, ShowPercentSign=False, UseApostrophePrefix=False)

When you process and open the document from the file explorer, you will be prompted with the parameter in the XF Cell.

johnnyRockets_0-1698943679643.png

Once a selection is made, the PPT will open based on your selection. 

psc
New Contributor II

Hmmm that's what I tried - I had this as the original upload: XFCell(Cb#ProtoCube:E#Group:C#Local:S#|!Select Rolling Fcst!|:T#|!Select_BaseTime!|:V#Periodic:A#AEBITDA:F#EndBal:O#Top:I#Top:U1#Top:U2#Top:U3#Top:U4#Top:U5#Top:U6#None:U7#Top:U8#ActualvBudget, Culture=User, NumberFormat=N0, DisplayNoDataAsZero=True, Scale=0, FlipSign=False, ShowPercentSign=False, UseApostrophePrefix=False)

Then when I select the parameters from within OS it returns: XFCell(Cb#ProtoCube:E#Group:C#Local:S#Aug 07_12 FCST:T#2023M5:V#Periodic:A#AEBITDA:F#EndBal:O#Top:I#Top:U1#Top:U2#Top:U3#Top:U4#Top:U5#Top:U6#None:U7#Top:U8#ActualvBudget, Culture=User, NumberFormat=N0, DisplayNoDataAsZero=True, Scale=0, FlipSign=False, ShowPercentSign=False, UseApostrophePrefix=False) instead of the value.

When I copy and paste the value from the cube view it works. Almost as if it can't do both parameters and be a dynamic calc within ppt.

Appreciate your help and quick responses!

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

The problem is spaces in your member name. Place square brackets around your parameter, e.g. S#[|!Select Rolling Fcst!|] and that should work.