XFMemberProperty documentation

dbeavon
Contributor

Where do I find documentation for the function "XFMemberProperty"?

The best I've found is the Design and Reference guide. But it just asks you to refer to the "Samples tab in the Member Filter Builder." 

I spend a lot of time poking around by trial-and-error,  before I am able to figure out what property names are valid.  In the cubeview editor experience, the property names aren't easily "discoverable".  Nor does it validate your expressions until you execute the cubeview.  So every time you make an invalid guess at a property name, it can cost you a significant amount of time, (depending on how quickly you can fill in the report prompts, and how long it takes for the cubeview to be rendered.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hey dbeavon:

I'm right there with you, I find the documentation to be weak.  Its hard to search and often lacks technical references.

If you're still looking for a full list of the properties, the best spot I can think of is Grid View Grid Settings Selector.  Application > Dimensions > (Select your dimension) > Grid View > Grid View Settings.  This will show all the properties in the syntax that XFMemberProperty expects.

I also agree that the 'trial and error' method for most things in OneStream can be frustrating. If it helps, I often use QuickViews for this type of prototype work; you can keep the views small and eliminate the few extra clicks associated with running reports and toggling back to edit them as the QV's refresh after you make changes in the Member Filter Builder.

Cheers -DB

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hey dbeavon:

I'm right there with you, I find the documentation to be weak.  Its hard to search and often lacks technical references.

If you're still looking for a full list of the properties, the best spot I can think of is Grid View Grid Settings Selector.  Application > Dimensions > (Select your dimension) > Grid View > Grid View Settings.  This will show all the properties in the syntax that XFMemberProperty expects.

I also agree that the 'trial and error' method for most things in OneStream can be frustrating. If it helps, I often use QuickViews for this type of prototype work; you can keep the views small and eliminate the few extra clicks associated with running reports and toggling back to edit them as the QV's refresh after you make changes in the Member Filter Builder.

Cheers -DB

Please sign in! dbeavon