Audit Trail for Calculated amounts

mvalerio24
New Contributor III

I currently have a UD8 that pulls the current timestamp anytime a user updates an intersection and it works just fine. The issue I am having is that when I run a calculation to push an amount to an intersection, there is no audit trail for that. Is there a table where this calculated audit information is stored? I haven't been able to find anything and I would think that OneStream should be able to track the audit trail of calculated members.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I assume the DM job is triggering a Custom Calculate. The behaviour you describe is by design. Custom Calculate works outside of the DUCS, targeting specific slices of data, so it doesn't generate auditing traces at the same level of detail of DUCS operations.

This said, you can address this in two ways:

1. Set the "Use Detailed Logging" option to True on the DM Step. This will report in Task Activity all DUs touched by the job. The DM Step configuration is audited, so you can certify what the step looked like at any point in time. Note: if you're looking at things via SQL, Task Activity lives in the Framework database (not Applicatlion).
    JackLacava_0-1693824233696.png
  2. If that is not enough, you can do your own logging in the Custom Calc rule. Changes to the rule are audited, so you can certify what the rule looked like at any point in time.

This difference in auditing trace is one of the reasons to consider when deciding whether to use Custom Calculations or Member Formulas. We discuss it in training material, we should probably make it a bit clearer in documentation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "running a calculation to push an amount to an intersection". Is that a Member Formula assigned to a Formula Pass? A Business Rule invoked by Calculate/Consolidate? A Custom Calculate? (run by Dashboard? By Data Management?) Something else?

The rule to push the amounts from my scenario to another is a finance rule and that is being kicked off by a Data management job. When im in a dashboard, I have a button that runs an extender rule to call that DM job to run the rule and when the amounts populate into an intersection where the data was updated, there is no trace of it in the audit table.I am currently using the data entry audit table to pull in the timestamp of when an intersection was last updated and this doesn't update after that is run

I assume the DM job is triggering a Custom Calculate. The behaviour you describe is by design. Custom Calculate works outside of the DUCS, targeting specific slices of data, so it doesn't generate auditing traces at the same level of detail of DUCS operations.

This said, you can address this in two ways:

1. Set the "Use Detailed Logging" option to True on the DM Step. This will report in Task Activity all DUs touched by the job. The DM Step configuration is audited, so you can certify what the step looked like at any point in time. Note: if you're looking at things via SQL, Task Activity lives in the Framework database (not Applicatlion).
    JackLacava_0-1693824233696.png
  2. If that is not enough, you can do your own logging in the Custom Calc rule. Changes to the rule are audited, so you can certify what the rule looked like at any point in time.

This difference in auditing trace is one of the reasons to consider when deciding whether to use Custom Calculations or Member Formulas. We discuss it in training material, we should probably make it a bit clearer in documentation.

Thanks this makes sense. Side question for you, do you know more about cell status storage types and how OneSteram determines when to set it to input? I've tried looking into this but couldn't really find anything. I ask because it seems when you use a custom calculate and it sets the storage type to input, it records the audit history of the calculation.

mvalerio24_0-1693915746821.png

Please sign in! mvalerio24