Best FileShare folder to use to import and delete csv files

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi,

I have created a dashboard extender business rule that picks some CSV files from a server, save them in the File Share, extract some info from the file, then delete them.

The issue I am having is to find the right folder to use to import and then delete the files.

I initially used the Administrators folder in the File Share/Applications/Groups folder, but that folder is not visible to the not in the Administrators group, so the rule works fine for me but not for other users.

Then I have tried using the Incoming folder, which let me import the files, but does not let me delete the files.

Each folder in the File Share seems to have a different set of security properties, but that is not shown in the File Explorer. What is the purpose of each of the folders in the File Share (is each of them supposed to be used for a specific task?) and which one is better to use for my scope?

AndreaF_1-1693839816674.png

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Incoming and Batch/Harvest are meant for files that are pulled through the Import feature, so you should probably leave those alone.

Internal/ImportExport is meant for Load/Extract operations triggered from DataManagement. Security-wise it's more liberal than the previously mentioned ones, but still somewhat meant for system features. As you've found, for your sort of ad-hoc work it's fine, but it can become a bit of a chesspit if not regularly cleaned up, and there might be some confusion and overlap with other tasks.

The ideal approach for the activity you mention is probably what you first went for, i.e. Groups/SomeGroup. Just create a custom group dedicated to your activity, and assign to it all users that should have access to your feature.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndreaF
Contributor III

The System/Internal/ImportExport folder seems to work fine for the scope, but I am still wondering if there are preferred folders to be used for specific tasks, thank you

AndreaF_0-1693841473198.png

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Incoming and Batch/Harvest are meant for files that are pulled through the Import feature, so you should probably leave those alone.

Internal/ImportExport is meant for Load/Extract operations triggered from DataManagement. Security-wise it's more liberal than the previously mentioned ones, but still somewhat meant for system features. As you've found, for your sort of ad-hoc work it's fine, but it can become a bit of a chesspit if not regularly cleaned up, and there might be some confusion and overlap with other tasks.

The ideal approach for the activity you mention is probably what you first went for, i.e. Groups/SomeGroup. Just create a custom group dedicated to your activity, and assign to it all users that should have access to your feature.

AndreaF
Contributor III

Thank you, for your clear explanation.

I can only see 2 folders in the Groups folder. I have tried creating additional security groups, and assigning myself to those groups does not add new folders below the Groups folder, so for whoever is not an administrator I believe I will have to use the the Everyone folder if I want to stick to using the Groups folder for my feature.

AndreaF_0-1693989432205.png

You can create custom folders as children of Groups, just select Groups and use the top-left icon. Make sure they have the same names as your custom groups.

JackLacava_0-1694001613506.png