DynamicCalc : get data from siblings (or parents)

Sergey
Contributor III

Hello,

I have a use case where I need to get data from siblings (or parents) for a dynamic calc.

Entities A,B are part of the same parent EntityC.

Cost1 / Entity A : 1000

Cost1 / Entity B : 500

Cost2 / Entity A : 2000

Cost2 / Entity B : 1000

The calculation of the KPI should be as follow for each entity : (0.5*Cost1 + Cost2) / ( 0.5*Cost1:EntityC + Cost1:EntityC).

or : (0.5*Cost1 + Cost2) / ( 0.5*Cost1:EntityA+EntityB + Cost1:EntityA+EntityB). (it's the same really)

Just to give more fun to it, this formula should be dynamic, as I have multiple entities and multiple parent...

I'm looking for a formula that would help me achieve this ?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TheJonG
New Contributor III

You can retreive the parent of the POV Entity using the api.Member.sGetParents function. This returns a list of all parents so you can use .First to grab the first one. If base entities have multiple parents via alternate hierarchies, you need to be careful which one gets returned as it can be unpredictable which one OneStream lists first (I believe it is order in which the parents are created). Here is some script:

Dim povEntityId As Integer = api.Pov.Entity.MemberId
Dim povEntityDimPk As DimPk= api.Pov.Entitydim.DimPk
Dim entityParent As List (Of Member) = api.Members.GetParents(povEntityDimPk, povEntityId, False)
Dim firstEntityParent As Member = entityParent.First

Return api.Data.GetDataCell("Divide((0.5 * A#Cost1 + A#Cost2), ( 0.5 * A#Cost1:E#" & firstEntityParent.Name & " + A#Cost2:E#" & firstEntityParent.Name & "))")

Something to consider is that the Parent Entity may not be consolidated or aggregated to reflect recent changes to the base entities. You can use the GetEntityAggregationDataCell function to get the Cost data for the parent and it will run the parent entity aggregation at execution of the Dynamic Calc.

Dim entityParent As List (Of Member) = api.Members.GetParents(povEntityDimPk, povEntityId, False)

Dim parentAggCost1 As DataCell = api.Functions.GetEntityAggregationDataCell("E#" & firstEntityParent & ":A#Cost1")
Dim parentAggCost2 As DataCell = api.Functions.GetEntityAggregationDataCell("E#" & firstEntityParent & ":A#Cost2")

Return api.Data.GetDataCell("Divide((0.5 * A#Cost1 + A#Cost2), (0.5 * " & parentAggCost1.CellAmount & " + " & parentAggCost2.CellAmount & "))")

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TheJonG
New Contributor III

You can retreive the parent of the POV Entity using the api.Member.sGetParents function. This returns a list of all parents so you can use .First to grab the first one. If base entities have multiple parents via alternate hierarchies, you need to be careful which one gets returned as it can be unpredictable which one OneStream lists first (I believe it is order in which the parents are created). Here is some script:

Return api.Data.GetDataCell("Divide((0.5 * A#Cost1 + A#Cost2), ( 0.5 * A#Cost1:E#" & firstEntityParent.Name & " + A#Cost2:E#" & firstEntityParent.Name & "))")

Something to consider is that the Parent Entity may not be consolidated or aggregated to reflect recent changes to the base entities. You can use the GetEntityAggregationDataCell function to get the Cost data for the parent and it will run the parent entity aggregation at execution of the Dynamic Calc.

Dim parentAggCost1 As DataCell = api.Functions.GetEntityAggregationDataCell("E#" & firstEntityParent & ":A#Cost1")
Dim parentAggCost2 As DataCell = api.Functions.GetEntityAggregationDataCell("E#" & firstEntityParent & ":A#Cost2")

Return api.Data.GetDataCell("Divide((0.5 * A#Cost1 + A#Cost2), (0.5 * " & parentAggCost1.CellAmount & " + " & parentAggCost2.CellAmount & "))")

Sergey
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to apply this formula to the dynamic calc account however I get some messages when I validate the formula:

Unable to compile formula.

1) Error at line 29: Operator '&' is not defined for types 'String' and 'Member'.

2) Error at line 30: Operator '&' is not defined for types 'String' and 'Member'.

This is probably just a VB.Net error message so I'll have a look into it.

Many thanks !

Sergey
Contributor III

Adding ".Name" did the trick there !

Dim parentAggCost1 As DataCell = api.Functions.GetEntityAggregationDataCell("E#" & firstEntityParent.Name & ":A#Cost1")
Dim parentAggCost2 As DataCell = api.Functions.GetEntityAggregationDataCell("E#" & firstEntityParent.Name & ":A#Cost2")

Davy
Contributor

Can someone please give me a screen shot of the settings of this  account member that has Dynamic calc ?  Or point me to section in documentation to find them.

Sergey
Contributor III

Hello Davy,

Here's the configuration I used for the Dynamic Calc member :

Sergey_0-1648044095121.png

Sergey_1-1648044108098.png

Best Regards,

Please sign in! Sergey