Getting Dimension Info from Member Name

GaneshJ
New Contributor II

I am trying to get dimension info using a member name. I came across the function, Dim nValue As Integer = BRApi.Finance.Members.GetDimIdFromMemberId(si, dimTypeId, memberId), but it requires dimTypeId. Is it possible to get dimTypeId using member name

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

There may be ways in your code to make this dynamic, but just with the (metadata) member name alone, it will not be possible. As the same name may exist in different dimension types, the system would not know which one the rule is referring to.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, no, I do not think it is possible to get DimTypeId from a member name. That is because member names may be the same between different dimensions, e.g. None exists in every account-type dimension. With just the name, the system would not be able to know which dimension to return.

Is it not working for you to provide the DimTypeId like this in the formula (using account as an example)?

DimTypeId.Account

GaneshJ
New Contributor II

Hi, "DimTypeId.Account" does work but we thought of keeping it as dynamic. 

Henning
Valued Contributor

There may be ways in your code to make this dynamic, but just with the (metadata) member name alone, it will not be possible. As the same name may exist in different dimension types, the system would not know which one the rule is referring to.

GaneshJ
New Contributor II

Got it, Thank You!!

rhankey
New Contributor III

You could cycle through each of the DimType's looking for the member name.  In many instances, that would narrow it down to a single DimType.  Worst case, you could at least prompt the user for a list of DimType's the member is actually in.  At the end of the day though, you are attempting to buck how OS is designed.  Member names have to be unique within a DimType, but it is perfectly acceptable to reuse member names across DimType's (eg None, Root, Top, Unassigned) 

GaneshJ
New Contributor II

Thank You!!