MemberListHeaders : purpose?

marcobobbiesi
New Contributor III

Hello community

I have quite a stupid question. We have two functiont types for Member Lists, MemberListHeaders, MemberList.

I couldn't figure out what the purpose of MemberListHeaders is. If I define a list in "MemberList" without having it in "MemberListHeaders", everything works fine. And if I add a list to "MemberListHeaders", it's not popping up anywhere in the application, as far as I saw.

I was expecting something like in HFM: the Headers was used to display the list in a dropdown from which the user was able to select it, while the "List" was the place where the list was defined.

I'm sure there's a use for MemberListHeaders, but I haven't gotten yet.

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

@marcobobbiesi wrote:

I was expecting something like in HFM: the Headers was used to display the list in a dropdown from which the user was able to select it, while the "List" was the place where the list was defined.

That's how it was meant to be; it's just that there are very few places where the list selection is possible. I honestly can't remember where they are. It's possible that interface has changed... For example, the Dashboard DataSet structure works in the same way, with a declarative block listing datasets that the rule can produce: you used to be able to pull DataSets directly from Excel, so that block would be called there, but I think that feature has been removed after TableViews were introduced. MemberListHeaders is actually the very first FinanceFunctionType value, so it's super old... In practice, Custom Member Lists are not as popular in OneStream as they were in HFM, because regular filters are so superior to what HFM had, that typically you don't need a custom list here at all.

Regardless, that case block also works as quick documentation about which lists that rule provides, making it easier for other developers to figure that out without having to read through the entire file, so it's become best-practice to provide it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

@marcobobbiesi wrote:

That's how it was meant to be; it's just that there are very few places where the list selection is possible. I honestly can't remember where they are. It's possible that interface has changed... For example, the Dashboard DataSet structure works in the same way, with a declarative block listing datasets that the rule can produce: you used to be able to pull DataSets directly from Excel, so that block would be called there, but I think that feature has been removed after TableViews were introduced. MemberListHeaders is actually the very first FinanceFunctionType value, so it's super old... In practice, Custom Member Lists are not as popular in OneStream as they were in HFM, because regular filters are so superior to what HFM had, that typically you don't need a custom list here at all.

Regardless, that case block also works as quick documentation about which lists that rule provides, making it easier for other developers to figure that out without having to read through the entire file, so it's become best-practice to provide it.