Message pop up when closing/leaving dashboard page

mvalerio24
New Contributor III

This may be a long shot but I was wondering if there was any kind of functionality to have a message appear if you leave a dashboard page/try to close out of it. The use case is that I have a dashboard that has a button that is hitting when a conference call happens and it updates security groups so certain users can't make updates during the call. I have another button the user SHOULD hit when the call is done and this will put the security back to what it was originally.  If the user of the dashboard forgets to hit that other button at the end of the call then the security never changes back. Was hoping to give a pop up message or something that forces the user to hit that end call button so the security goes back to what it was.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

The only action that can be triggered by closing a page, which I'm aware of, is the SQL Table Editor "there is unsaved data, are you sure you want to continue" pop-up. So a possible workaround (totally untested, rough, etc etc) might be to have users somehow interact with a minimal sqlTE, to "dirty" the state, so that on close you can then react to the save-state event. However, it feels difficult, hacky, and ugly, so I'm not keen on recommending it.

A simpler way could be to have a DataManagement job that runs periodically and resets the state. Keep an extra table that records when the state was last altered, and if it's over, say, 2h, switch everything back. DM jobs can also be triggered via REST Api as well, so if you have a chance to trigger an http endpoint when the call ends, you could leverage it that way instead. If you can't configure the REST Api (it requires third-party SSO integration), you can still launch them from Powershell or the Desktop Client Api.

In OneStream, this type of cleanup typically is performed as part of Workflow events. So if your Dashboard is in a Workspace step, you can play around with those states too.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

The only action that can be triggered by closing a page, which I'm aware of, is the SQL Table Editor "there is unsaved data, are you sure you want to continue" pop-up. So a possible workaround (totally untested, rough, etc etc) might be to have users somehow interact with a minimal sqlTE, to "dirty" the state, so that on close you can then react to the save-state event. However, it feels difficult, hacky, and ugly, so I'm not keen on recommending it.

A simpler way could be to have a DataManagement job that runs periodically and resets the state. Keep an extra table that records when the state was last altered, and if it's over, say, 2h, switch everything back. DM jobs can also be triggered via REST Api as well, so if you have a chance to trigger an http endpoint when the call ends, you could leverage it that way instead. If you can't configure the REST Api (it requires third-party SSO integration), you can still launch them from Powershell or the Desktop Client Api.

In OneStream, this type of cleanup typically is performed as part of Workflow events. So if your Dashboard is in a Workspace step, you can play around with those states too.

mvalerio24
New Contributor III

I thought as much, my work around was to put the Business rule on a Task scheduler 30 minutes after the meeting starts since it only last 10-15 minutes. Just wanted to see if someone had another way!