Move file from File Explorer to File Share

jrodgers
New Contributor II

I need to create a business rule that will move a file from a user's folder in File Explorer to the server's File Share. I am using the BRApi.FileSystem.GetFile method to successfully read the file, but I am unable to write the file to the server. I believe my issue is with the XFFileInfo parameters. I am not sure how many parameters to provide and what the value to provide for the folderFullName parameter. Here is my current code:

'Get the file
Dim sourceXFFileEx As New XFFileEx
sourceXFFileEx = BRApi.FileSystem.GetFile(si, FileSystemLocation.ApplicationDatabase, sourceDir & "/" & sourceFile,True,True)

'Save the file but this part is not working	 
Dim targetFileDataInfo As New XFFileInfo(FileSystemLocation.FileShare, fileName, ??)
Dim targetFileData As New XFFile(targetFileDataInfo, String.Empty, sourceXFFileEx.XFFile.ContentFileBytes)
BRApi.FileSystem.InsertOrUpdateFile(si, targetFileData)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

manthangandhi
New Contributor III

Hi Jrodgers,

You can try the follwoing apprach to move the file from the user's public directory to File Share > applications > Groups > Everyone directory. I hope this is what you're looking for.

'Get the file
Dim sourceDir As String = "Documents/Users/" & si.UserName.Replace(" ","")
Dim sourceFile As String = "test_move.txt"
sourceXFFileEx = BRApi.FileSystem.GetFile(si, FileSystemLocation.ApplicationDatabase, sourceDir & "/" & sourceFile,True,True)

Dim tgt = brapi.FileSystem.GetFolder(si, FileSystemLocation.FileShare, "Applications/"& si.AppName.Replace(" ", String.Empty) & "\Groups\Everyone\").XFFolder.ParentFullName
Dim targetFileDataInfo As New XFFileInfo(FileSystemLocation.FileShare, sourceFile, tgt )
Dim targetFileData As New XFFile(targetFileDataInfo, String.Empty, sourceXFFileEx.XFFile.ContentFileBytes)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

manthangandhi
New Contributor III

Hi Jrodgers,

You can try the follwoing apprach to move the file from the user's public directory to File Share > applications > Groups > Everyone directory. I hope this is what you're looking for.

'Get the file
Dim sourceDir As String = "Documents/Users/" & si.UserName.Replace(" ","")
Dim sourceFile As String = "test_move.txt"

Dim tgt = brapi.FileSystem.GetFolder(si, FileSystemLocation.FileShare, "Applications/"& si.AppName.Replace(" ", String.Empty) & "\Groups\Everyone\").XFFolder.ParentFullName
Dim targetFileDataInfo As New XFFileInfo(FileSystemLocation.FileShare, sourceFile, tgt )

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

One thing people often don't realize, is that most OneStream classes are actually documented in the automatically-generated helper tree - but they might be a couple of level deeper than the starting tree.

In this case, we will pull up InsertOrUpdateFile from the tree. Because its definition includes custom OneStream-specific classes, if we click on the Objects tab, we will get such classes listed - but those are hyperlinks!

JackLacava_0-1709543770837.png

If you click on XFFile, you get the full documentation on that class, including all its constructors and methods. Here we see there is a FileInfo property, and again we can look in the Objects tab...

JackLacava_2-1709543936785.png

... and clicking on the hyperlink gives us all the goods on XFFileInfo, including a fairly straightforward constructor:

JackLacava_3-1709544011206.png

This technique should be enough to look up details for 80-90% of OneStream objects. Don't expect much descriptive text (although you will find occasionally find some, in the Definition tab), but the names are usually fairly explanatory.

I hope that helps!