No parent members appearing in FilterMembers data buffer?

alex
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to pull in the descendants and the parent member of an account into a data buffer. e.g. something of the form FilterMembers(A#All, A#Gross_Sales.DescendantsInclusive). When I log the data buffer and examine my results, however, I'm only seeing the base member data and none of the parents.

Could anyone provide me any suggestions on how to pull all of this data into a single data buffer? And can anyone tell me why my data buffer doesn't produce the results I'm expecting?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

A databuffer only contains records that can be saved back to the database; which by default means that it will contain, for non-dataunit dimensions, only base data.

If you are trying to get parent data for non-DU dimensions, you must target the parent itself; OneStream will perform the necessary dynamic rollups, then replace the reference to the member with XFCommon, which means they can be stored back against some other member later.

Other techniques to get parent data involve using GetDataCell or GetEntityAggregationDataCell, which will produce the necessary rollups in memory.

I would recommend reading the OneStream Financial Rules and Calculations Handbook, which explains the inner workings of databuffers in detail.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

A databuffer only contains records that can be saved back to the database; which by default means that it will contain, for non-dataunit dimensions, only base data.

If you are trying to get parent data for non-DU dimensions, you must target the parent itself; OneStream will perform the necessary dynamic rollups, then replace the reference to the member with XFCommon, which means they can be stored back against some other member later.

Other techniques to get parent data involve using GetDataCell or GetEntityAggregationDataCell, which will produce the necessary rollups in memory.

I would recommend reading the OneStream Financial Rules and Calculations Handbook, which explains the inner workings of databuffers in detail.

alex
New Contributor II

Thanks Jack, your explanation is very helpful. I will consider picking up the Financial Rules & Calculations handbook.