Prompting for parameters for Tableview

Cosimo
Contributor II

I've got a Tableview embedded in an Excel workbook and would like to be able to prompt the user to select an entity and period that is then used to filter records. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LeeB
Contributor II

Yes, this is possible.

You define your parameters in a list.  "SelectEntity" could be a normal parameter i.e., Member List, Member Dialog etc. 

LeeB_0-1670429669758.png

Then retrieve them in your Table View rule using the strings in your SQL query.

LeeB_1-1670429682359.png

You'll then get prompted for these parameters on refreshing the Table View.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

LeeB
Contributor II

Yes, this is possible.

You define your parameters in a list.  "SelectEntity" could be a normal parameter i.e., Member List, Member Dialog etc. 

LeeB_0-1670429669758.png

Then retrieve them in your Table View rule using the strings in your SQL query.

LeeB_1-1670429682359.png

You'll then get prompted for these parameters on refreshing the Table View.

Cosimo
Contributor II

Thanks Lee. It works! What threw me off is that the documentation describes that you can create a list of parameters but fails to include that we should be returning the list back to the table view i.e. missing the "Return list" line in the code. 

Cosimo_0-1670437963857.png

LeeB
Contributor II

No problem, happy it's working.

GorkemSenol
New Contributor III

Hi both,

Maybe a silly question but when I add the parameter it just gives me a textbox to input a value for the dimension. Is it possible to present the user with a memberdialog or a list?

Hi Gorkem,

You certainly can by 1st defining a dashboard parameter (be it delimited, member list or member dialog) and then use it in cube views, table views, books, etc. Below is one example which I then call using |!DepartmentSelect!| elsewhere:

Cosimo_1-1703162974299.png

GorkemSenol
New Contributor III

Thanks Cosimo,

I realized there was something wrong with how I set up the parameter. I'm also struggling to get the result of the parameter selection and use it to filter the SQL. Can you let me know how did you achieve that? I want OS to filter the SQL based on the year and scenario selection from user.

GorkemSenol_0-1703172070491.png

Mubarak_H
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a doubt about table view custom parameter. Let's say we have defined two parameters namely "Param_1" and "Param_2". the requirement is my "Param_2" values should be based on "Param_1" is it possible to achieve?

When I select a Value in "Param_1" the available items in "Param_2" should change.