Data Mgt job that runs a Dashboard or Book and saves output to Application File storage

Clarke_Hair
Contributor

We have created a book that when run outputs an Excel file that is 67 tabs.  It can take 20+ minutes to run on our desktop Clients and many times will time out if we are at home vs. in the office.  Anybody ever created something that would allow this book to run on the server and save the output to the Application Folder.  That would allow it to run using the Server resources and only impact our laptops when downloading the file, which should be manageable. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I've done it using Dashboard, extender rules, parcel service, and task scheduler. Yes, it is possible.

View solution in original post

Do the reports use parameters?  If so, you'll likely need to specify them in the last lines of the Export File definition.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi Clarke: you're on the right track and also have almost answered the question yourself! 🙂  You can use a Data Management Step > Export File to run the Report Book and save the output to the Application File Share.  Check the design and reference guide "Presenting Data Using Books" and "Application Tools > Export File"

Thanks for pointing me to the Doc's  What it said do, is what I had been doing but nothing was getting created and was running way too fast.  Can you look at the below and let me know if you see anything that looks wrong.

When I run it, it takes about 10 seconds to finish and i can't find any file so assume something is wrong on the setup.OS_DM_Book_Pic.JPG

Check under: File Share > Applications > YourApplicationName > DataManagement > Export > YourUserName

That is where I found mine.

Thanks, found the files, now just have to get them to have data :).  Will get there at some point.  Going to try ckattookaran's process as well.

Do the reports use parameters?  If so, you'll likely need to specify them in the last lines of the Export File definition.  

DavidW
New Contributor II

Clarke, from the last screenshot, it looks like the source file type and path could be the problem. Capture.PNG

I've done it using Dashboard, extender rules, parcel service, and task scheduler. Yes, it is possible.