Running data managament sequence from business rule against server of choice

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi, I know I can choose on which server to run a data management sequence but setting it in its Application Servers property, or leave the property blank to let OneStream determine on which server to run it. However, when launching a  data management sequence from a business rule, using the BRApi.Utilities.StartDataMgmtSequence() command for example, the Application Servers property seems to be ignored. Is this the expected behaviour? Is there any other way to force a data mgmt sequence to run on a specific server when called from a business rule?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrea, you observed expected behavior. DM jobs launched from a rule ignore the server settings on the DM step.

ExecuteDataMgmtSequence or StartDataMgmtSequence do not honor the “Application Server” setting in the Sequence Properties, but they run on the server that is running the business rule that called one of these functions.

QueueDataMgmtSequence queues the launched DM jobs against the available cons/DM servers and avoid running on a gen/stage server (meaning, will execute the job on servers other than the one that executes the BR).

In the past - as far as I am informed - there was no way to determine a single server to run a DM job on when executed from a BR. Hopefully QueueDataMgmtSequence suffices in your case. If you have a dedicated server used only for DM jobs, or maybe even the particular job you are looking to execute here, maybe you can open a ticket to see whether this is not possible with 8.0 and above.

If not and you need to run this job on a specific server, I suggest to execute the DM job directly or via a button. The DM jobs can also be scheduled using Task Scheduler in that helps in your case.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrea, you observed expected behavior. DM jobs launched from a rule ignore the server settings on the DM step.

ExecuteDataMgmtSequence or StartDataMgmtSequence do not honor the “Application Server” setting in the Sequence Properties, but they run on the server that is running the business rule that called one of these functions.

QueueDataMgmtSequence queues the launched DM jobs against the available cons/DM servers and avoid running on a gen/stage server (meaning, will execute the job on servers other than the one that executes the BR).

In the past - as far as I am informed - there was no way to determine a single server to run a DM job on when executed from a BR. Hopefully QueueDataMgmtSequence suffices in your case. If you have a dedicated server used only for DM jobs, or maybe even the particular job you are looking to execute here, maybe you can open a ticket to see whether this is not possible with 8.0 and above.

If not and you need to run this job on a specific server, I suggest to execute the DM job directly or via a button. The DM jobs can also be scheduled using Task Scheduler in that helps in your case.

Thank you for your reply @Henning . The reason why I wanted to run the DM job on a specific server was simply for performance testing purpose, to check whether there was any performance difference in running it on server A instead of server B.

The QueueDataMgmtSequence suffice my case: I can confirm that by using that command instead of StartDataMgmtSequence, the DM job is execute on the server set in the Application Servers property of the Data mgmt sequence. I have tested this with OS 8.1 by the way.

FredLucas
Contributor

Hi @AndreaF,

That behavior is aligned with what I heard in one of the sessions at Wave last year.

Based on the info shared on that session, I don't think there's a way to specify the server when using the StartDataMgmtSequence BRAPI function. It could be a good one to post on IdeaStream?