Custom Translation - Help please

Beeswing
New Contributor III

This is causing me a headache!

Here's the situation.  

We have an Actual Scenario and a Forecast scenario

In the Actual Scenario,  we have Cash Flow accounts that have formulas so that they pull data from Income Statement and Balance Sheet accounts.  For example CF1 pulls from the IS,  and CF2 pulls from the BS.  The CF accounts are all set to Flow account type, and the ones pulling from the BS have Flow Constraints set and those Flows have Switch Type set to True.

In  Actual Scenario,  the Rate Type for Revenues and Expenses is set to AverageRate,  and Rate type for Assets and Liabilities is set to ClosingRate.

In Actual,  IS accounts correctly translate at AverageRate,   BS accounts correctly translate at ClosingRate, and all Cash Flow accounts translate at AverageRate.   

First question,  how does the Cash Flow translate at AverageRate?  According to the OneStream XF Reference Guide,  Flow type accounts do not translate.

In Forecast we have a Formula set to copy data from Actuals for the first 8 months.  The Rate Type for Revenue and Expenses is set to FcstAvgRate,  and the Rate Type for Assets and Liabilities is set to FcstClsRate.

Also, because we want Forecast to agree to Actuals for the first 8 months we have a Custom Translation business rule which is meant to override the scenario default FcstAvgRate and FcstClsRate for those 8 months with Actual's AverageRate and ClosingRate.

That all works fine for IS and BS accounts,  but for the Cashflow,  in those first 8 months only,  some accounts translate at the AverageRate,  and some at the ClosingRate.  Which is not consistent with Actuals (where all CF accounts are using AverageRate).

The CF accounts that translate at ClosingRate are the ones which are copying data from BS accounts (the ones copying from IS accounts are all translating at AvgRate).

If I turn off the Business Rule, the whole of Forecast scenario just uses the default rates again, but it does so constantly. (i.e.  it uses the FcstAvgRate for ALL cashflow accounts).

It feels like something to do with the order of calculations,  but I can't work it out. 

1 REPLY 1

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi Beeswing: hard to know for sure without seeing formulas and such, but a few things come to mind that might be worth looking into.

• Are the Flow formulas applied to all scenario types, or do you have specific formulas by scenario type?  You might need to update a flow formula for the Forecast scenario
  • As you have custom translation, do the rules specifically reference the rate type for the scenario?  And would that need to be updated for the forecast scenario / overridden based on time period?

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

DB