Moving entity to new parent

Surfhat1
New Contributor II

We are moving an entity to another parent.  Prior periods have been locked.  Will this cause an issue with reporting as the entity will roll up under a different segment.  Trying to determine if we need to create another entity for reporting purposes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlosAlvear
Contributor

Hi Surfhat1,

I think the best approach is to create a new entity because otherwise you can mess up the consolidation from previous periods (Unless the consolidation is fully blocked once it has been launched)

For keeping the same entity, I think we'd need to be able to define the parent as a time function. So far, the parent definition is fixed for a given entity so I'd create a new entity for the new organization.

Thank you.

Carlos 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CarlosAlvear
Contributor

Hi Surfhat1,

I think the best approach is to create a new entity because otherwise you can mess up the consolidation from previous periods (Unless the consolidation is fully blocked once it has been launched)

For keeping the same entity, I think we'd need to be able to define the parent as a time function. So far, the parent definition is fixed for a given entity so I'd create a new entity for the new organization.

Thank you.

Carlos 

Surfhat1
New Contributor II

Thanks Carlos - that is what we thought.  

CarlosAlvear
Contributor

Hi Surfhat,

I forgot to mention that it's also a good idea to block the old entity (InUse = False) so people don't add data there. They should fill data only in the new entity.

BR

Carlos

CarlosAlvear
Contributor

Hi Surfhat,

I think the first answer I provided is not correct. The base entity should be always the same because it hasn't changed. I think you can manage the issue in the relationship properties tab, changing the percentage of consolidation and ownership from the time of the exit onwards on the old relationship. Then you can put the same base entity in the new hierarchy having the opposite in percentage consolidation and ownership inversed (0% from start until change on the hierarchy).

Best regards

Carlos

CarlosAlvear_0-1705661260640.png