Metadata moves from Dev to Production

johnal67
Contributor

I'm trying to better understand the best process for moving large Dev dimension changes from to Prod.  I've extracted my Dev and Prod Metadata and have it in the Dimension Comparision utility.  Now I know my differences which I have changes in Prod that aren't in my Dev and of course vice-versa.   I'm looking for feedback, do you edit the xml file or make some changes in Dimension portion of Onestream and re-extract.  The best practices process is what is stumping me or is the answer "it depends"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, there is always an element of "it depends" 😉

Editing the XML to migrate data to a Prod system seems like a source for potential errors. 

If the changes are too large (i.e. too many new members to reasonably move them manually), the most typical setup out there is using Application Control Manager (ACM) from the Solution Exchange.

Solution Overview (onestream.com)

Henning_0-1718994556965.png

The reason why this solution is among the most widely used solutions from the Marketplace is that it offers great functionality but also allows the customers to put a proper process around metadata changes. The process part of this is why I would personally use this even for "small" changes which one could also do manually, in theory. The solutions build in OneStream are driving the office of the finance and should be handled with great care / control which justifies putting such processes in place in my view.

Here is another post in which the same was raised:

Solved: Export one metadata / Dimension from OneStream - OneStream Community (onestreamsoftware.com)

There are a number of posts on ACM in this forum which might help you getting this started.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, there is always an element of "it depends" 😉

Editing the XML to migrate data to a Prod system seems like a source for potential errors. 

If the changes are too large (i.e. too many new members to reasonably move them manually), the most typical setup out there is using Application Control Manager (ACM) from the Solution Exchange.

Solution Overview (onestream.com)

Henning_0-1718994556965.png

The reason why this solution is among the most widely used solutions from the Marketplace is that it offers great functionality but also allows the customers to put a proper process around metadata changes. The process part of this is why I would personally use this even for "small" changes which one could also do manually, in theory. The solutions build in OneStream are driving the office of the finance and should be handled with great care / control which justifies putting such processes in place in my view.

Here is another post in which the same was raised:

Solved: Export one metadata / Dimension from OneStream - OneStream Community (onestreamsoftware.com)

There are a number of posts on ACM in this forum which might help you getting this started.

johnal67
Contributor

I think I need to start looking at moving to ACM, this is one of the larger modifications I've had since we've been live quite a few years now.  Definitely doing a modification to the XML and loading it was worrying me that I would miss something.  Any lessons learned or advisement about going to ACM?  From where I looked before something scared me off with once you go, you can't go back if I remember correctly.  Thanks for so much for the quick feedback and push to go that way.