Security on Onestream Reports

Marcello
Contributor

Hi all,

has anybody ever developed reports that connect directly to the SQL database?

Do you know how security is applied? Is there an intelligent filter on the Onestream application security layer?

Our doubt comes from this example:

1. we developed a simple report showing data of journal (table JournalHeader)

Marcello_0-1666258763792.png

2. the report shows many journals posted on several companies

3. we published the dashboard containing the report in OnePLace

4. Logged as a normal user with access rights to a specific entity we can see journals of all companies

So we think that security is not applied.

We think that the same issue (security not aplied ) may happen to the standard "Application Reports" too.

Thanks is advance for the help 

Marcello

1 REPLY 1

Cosimo
Contributor II

Hi Marchello,

Since you're querying application tables directly, you will need to build the security layer within your query. I'm not sure what drives user security on your end (could be by entity or by workflow or both). 

The first thing I would do is have the data adapter for the report point to a helper query BR so that you can control what's being generated in the resulting data table. Knowing the user that is running the report (i.e. si.UserName), we can figure out what workflows or entities the user has access to. This info is then used in your SQL to filter records. 

I'm assuming that you're looking to join JournalHeader with JournalLineItem? If so, I would filter off of the EntityId field in JournalLineItem table as followed (all summarized but details can be provided):

1) Using si.UserName, generate a list of entities that the user has access to. The list would be entity member IDs and not entity names.

2) From the entity member Id list, generate a comma-delimited string. example: "980001, 980027, etc."

3) In your SQL, include in the Where clause a filter for EntityId. example: WHERE EntityId IN (980001, 980027, etc.)

Makes sense?