Unable to create an application

Par
New Contributor

Hi - I'm trying to create a new application, but encountered the following error message...

Unable to save 'Application Reference'. Invalid parameter. 

User Interface Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EndCall(String action, Object[] outs, IAsyncResult result)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeEndService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at OneStream.Client.SharedUI.ApplicationAdminServiceReference.ApplicationAdminService.EndInsertOrUpdateApplicationReference(IAsyncResult result)
at OneStream.Client.SharedUI.ApplicationAdminServiceReference.ApplicationAdminServiceClient.OnEndInsertOrUpdateApplicationReference(IAsyncResult result)
at System.ServiceModel.ClientBase`1.OnAsyncCallCompleted(IAsyncResult result)

Any ideas on how to resolve the error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Par,

Just to add to the above, in order to offer more autonomy to SAAS customers and remove the need for opening tickets for certain activities (such as creating a new application), OS has recently released the Cloud Administration Tools (CAT), under Marketplace.

I encourage you to download and have a look.

Here's the short description of the Application Management part of this solution:

"Application Management
Application Management maintains OneStream applications in a cloud environment.
System administrators can copy existing applications, and create, replace, or remove
new applications within OneStream. With Application Management, administrators
can make changes for testing or archival purposes. This functionality is only available
to members of the administrator’s security group. "

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, which button did you press to create a new application? My assumption is you pressed the button on the left.

Henning_0-1718165420714.png

The left one is not to create a new application. This one is to "Create [an] Application Reference". I.e. you already have the SQL application database tables in the correct folder. This is mostly used when application tables are copied on the server level and you need to connect those tables to OneStream. When pushing this button without existing database tables that the reference can be set to, a similar error message occurs.

For a truly new application from OneStream, the right button, this is to "Create [an] Application Database", which means the database tables including the app (reference) in OneStream. This one is the one needed to create a new application from scratch.

This applies to local instances of OneStream such as my laptop. If you are a SAAS customer and the right button - that one needs to create a new application ("Create Application Database") - is (typically) deactivated. You can open a ticket, asking support to create a new application for you, using your parameters such as App Name, App Description, and - if applicable - a custom Time Dimension Definition.

Hi @Par,

Just to add to the above, in order to offer more autonomy to SAAS customers and remove the need for opening tickets for certain activities (such as creating a new application), OS has recently released the Cloud Administration Tools (CAT), under Marketplace.

I encourage you to download and have a look.

Here's the short description of the Application Management part of this solution:

"Application Management
Application Management maintains OneStream applications in a cloud environment.
System administrators can copy existing applications, and create, replace, or remove
new applications within OneStream. With Application Management, administrators
can make changes for testing or archival purposes. This functionality is only available
to members of the administrator’s security group. "

Par
New Contributor

@Henning thank you for your clarification. We're a SAAS customer and the "Create Application Database") is deactivated. I'll raise a support ticket to have a new application created.

@FredLucas thank you for your recommendation. I've used CAT, and it worked great for copying an application. But it doesn't appear to have the ability to create an application; maybe because we're a SAAS customer.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 094139.jpg

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, thanks for the feedback! I went through the documentation for CAT and found this:

Henning_1-1718204633023.png

I also understood the quote from @FredLucas in a way that with the latest release it may be possible to create applications from scratch. However, it seems that this is still using the functionality I remember. One can only create a new application based on a copy of an existing app. Creating a new app from scratch seems not possible using CAT. If that is correct, then opening a ticket is the only way (unless someone creates a copy and removes all content of the copy.... which is a lot more work than opening a ticket).

T_Kress
Contributor II

This KB article may help too:

OneStream Customer Support - Unable to Create New Application Databases | OneStream Software - Servi...

Teresa C. Kress
Principal Delivery Manager Partner Enablement | OneStream Software