dynamic column sharing

CarlosAlvear
Contributor

Hi all,

Here's the situation: There are several CV with the same accounts as rows (CV1, CV2, CV3, etc.) that have slightly different columns. For each main CV, it's needed to drill down until arriving to the base. Would it be possible to set a navigation CV to a common CV with dynamic columns so that the CV can adapt to each main CV? I would like to avoid creating a CV set for each main CV.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi Carlos: yes, but my proposed solution will require a slight change to how you manage your reporting. Short answer: use a parameter for your column share selection in both the base report CVs and the navigation drilldowns CVs.

We use a delimited list parameter with the various column share views that are applicable to the majority of our month-end close reports.  All our associated Linked Navigation Drilldown reports use the same parameter in the column share selection.  This way, when doing the drilldown, you'll get the same columns.

One note: this would mean you have 3 reports with the same accounts (rows) that all prompt for a column selection.  In practice, you would reduce these down to 1 report that prompts for the column selection.

Hope that makes sense and happy to field any follow-ups.  Cheers.     -db

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

db_pdx
Contributor III

Hi Carlos: yes, but my proposed solution will require a slight change to how you manage your reporting. Short answer: use a parameter for your column share selection in both the base report CVs and the navigation drilldowns CVs.

We use a delimited list parameter with the various column share views that are applicable to the majority of our month-end close reports.  All our associated Linked Navigation Drilldown reports use the same parameter in the column share selection.  This way, when doing the drilldown, you'll get the same columns.

One note: this would mean you have 3 reports with the same accounts (rows) that all prompt for a column selection.  In practice, you would reduce these down to 1 report that prompts for the column selection.

Hope that makes sense and happy to field any follow-ups.  Cheers.     -db

CarlosAlvear
Contributor

Thank you db_pdx, that's what I was looking for.

Thank you

BR, Carlos