Complex flat file issue

jbennett0108
New Contributor II

I have a vendor that cannot customize a flat file to include any kind of variable data to determine the import period.  The best they can manage is give me two trial balance amount columns- current month and previous month- and I can pick which to use based on a custom parameter to tell me the close month.  

So first, am I able to determine which amount to use (column 9 or 10) based on a variable vs the current date- when current month = 5 and month end = 4, use column 9, else column 10?

Second how can I create a datakey for time using these parameters?  I can't find any documentation on it.

Appreciate the advice.  I know this isn't the best way but I've been painted into this corner against my will....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can do this with Logical Operator set to Complex Expressions on those dimensions.

The general technique for column lookups is available in this Snippet:

JackLacava_0-1710506316013.png

In the datasource, you will have to point the Amount column to a column that always contains a value (or the row will be ignored), and then in the Operator look up this or that column as you see fit.

Similarly for Time, you will point the column at something (in this case, it could be an empty column), then create your period name with a Logical Operator Complex Expression rule.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can do this with Logical Operator set to Complex Expressions on those dimensions.

The general technique for column lookups is available in this Snippet:

JackLacava_0-1710506316013.png

In the datasource, you will have to point the Amount column to a column that always contains a value (or the row will be ignored), and then in the Operator look up this or that column as you see fit.

Similarly for Time, you will point the column at something (in this case, it could be an empty column), then create your period name with a Logical Operator Complex Expression rule.