Linked Parameter in Table View

Mubarak_H
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a doubt about table view custom parameter. Let's say we have defined two parameters namely "Param_1" and "Param_2". the requirement is my "Param_2" values should be based on "Param_1" is it possible to achieve?

When I select a Value in "Param_1" the available items in "Param_2" should change.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Second TableView won't work. it will combine and prompt all TableView Parameters at once. using a separate cube view connection only for parameters solved my issue.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sure. You just reference Param_1 in the configuration of Param_2, with the standard syntax (i.e. |!Param_1!| ).

Hello Jack, it is not working like this in the Table view case.

Here is the code below for your reference,

1) Table view BR where I'm calling these Parameters.

Mubarak_H_2-1709556974630.png

2) Definition of Parameters.

Mubarak_H_3-1709557066392.png

3) XFBR Business rule used in Parameters.

Mubarak_H_4-1709557277633.png

4) The Result I'm getting (Error)

Mubarak_H_5-1709557366813.png

The second Parameter is not going to XFBR only when I'm passing the first Parameter in it. If I pass a fixed value instead of a Parameter, it is working

Ok, I see. Yes, the issue is likely due to the fact that we don't do multiple resolution rounds in TableViews; so the Input dialog will show the XFBR unresolved. After you click ok, though, the XFBR is actually triggered correctly with the passed parameter (or at least it is in v8.1 that I tested it on, on an Input or Literal parameter).

So you can have a Parameter relying on another Parameter, but (at the moment, in Table Views) they cannot both be things the user will interact with. If the second parameter was a simpler Input or Literal, things would work: the user would be prompted for the first Parameter only (or both, but the second would show the xfbr unresolved), and the Table View code would receive the second Parameter resolved correctly too.

You can raise this with Support and see what they say, I would expect something might have already been filed about this but maybe not.

Jack, thank you for the clarification, yeah will take this to the support and let you know as well if anything comes up.

MauroGallo
New Contributor III

I am guessing you need additional details on Jack's response. You will need to define Param_2's values based on Param_1's selection with a Dashboard XFBR String business rule.
In the following example, the available periods to be selected are defined by the selected scenario. My scenario parameter (par_Comparative_Scenario) has no logic, but my period parameter (par_Comparative_Time) calls an XFBR String helper that defines the available values as shown next.

Parameter par_Comparative_Time, calls XFBR String String_Helper passing the selected scenario par_Comparative_Scenario:
Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 2.17.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 2.24.24 PM.png

Selecting Actual allows selecting 2022, 2023, or 2024. Whereas selecting other scenarios only allows selecting 2024.
Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 2.26.39 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-03 at 2.26.54 PM.png
Regards,
Mauro Gallo.

Hello Mauro, 

Thanks for quick reply, the solution which you have provided is dashboard based using two different combo boxes, this logic is not working in the table view case. I guess it is not working because all the Parameters in the table view gets prompted once. 

For more details about my case please look at my reply to the Jack's comment.  I really appreciate if you take out your time and see if you find any work around for this.

Thank you!

MauroGallo
New Contributor III

Apologies, I missed the "in Table View" part of the ask. I believe you can't nest parameter definitions in table views in this dynamic way, as there are not two "events" to resolve the second parameter based on the first one.

Could you solve this with a second TableView on the spreadsheet? Not suggesting you can, just thinking out loud.

Second TableView won't work. it will combine and prompt all TableView Parameters at once. using a separate cube view connection only for parameters solved my issue.